This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Mars Exploration Rover: An In Situ Science Mission to Mars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper the concept for a mobile vehicle system which performs an in situ science mission to Mars is described. This rover mission with its requirements for driving, positioning at science selected targets, and remote and in situ measurement will utilize the technologies for hazard avoidance and autonomous navigation supported by ground operation tools which use rover-based imagery for position estimation and motion planning.
- Jacob R. Matijevic - Mars Exploration Rover, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
- Barry G. Goldstein - Mars Exploration Rover, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
- Richard V. Welch - Mars Exploration Rover, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
CitationMatijevic, J., Goldstein, B., and Welch, R., "The Mars Exploration Rover: An In Situ Science Mission to Mars," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-2136, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-2136.
- Shirley D. Matijevic J. “Mars Pathfinder Microrover” Autonomous Robots 2 4 1995 281 289
- Matijevic J. “Autonomous Navigation and the Sojourner Microrover” Science 276 April 17 1998
- Wilcox B. Cooper B. Salo R. “Computer Aided Remote Driving” July 21–23 1986
- Mishkin A. Morrison J. Nguyen T. Stone H. Cooper B. Wilcox B. “Experiences with Operations and Autonomy of the Mars Pathfinder Microrover,” proceedings of the 1998 IEEE Aerospace Conference March 21–28 1998
- Biesiadecki J. Maimone M. Morrison J. “The Athenal SDM Rover: A Testbed for Mars Rover Mobility” June 2001
- Simmons R. Henriksen L. Christman L. Whelan G. “Obstacle Avoidance and Safeguarding for a Lunar Rover” AIAA Forum on Advanced Developments in Space Robotics August 1996 Madison, Wisconsin
- Wettergreen D. Bapna D. Maimone M. Thomas G. “Developing Normad for Robotic Exploration of the Atacama Desert” Robotics and Autonomous Systems 26 2–3 February 1999 127 148
- Bickler D. B. “A New Family of Planetary Vehicles” International Symposium on Missions, Technologies and Design of Planetary Mobile Vehicles September 28–30 1992 Toulouse, France
- Golombek M. Cook R. Moore H. Parker T. J. Geophysical Research 102 3967 1997