This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measuring the Cylinder-to-Cylinder EGR Distribution in the Intake of a Diesel Engine During Transient Operation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work, we describe an optical diagnostic based on infrared-absorption spectroscopy that can be applied to production-like engines to evaluate the cylinder-to-cylinder EGR distribution. We have applied this diagnostic to a small-bore Diesel engine and performed measurements under both steady-state and transient conditions. The IR absorption diagnostic is shown to have a very low detection limit along with high precision, and produces highly credible results. Both crankangle-and cycle-resolved data were acquired in order to demonstrate the temporal measurement of the EGR concentration during the intake stroke, and during a sequence of cycles that define an engine transient. The results confirm the capabilities of the diagnostic, and in addition, illustrate interesting insight regarding the cylinder-to-cylinder EGR distribution.
CitationGreen, R., "Measuring the Cylinder-to-Cylinder EGR Distribution in the Intake of a Diesel Engine During Transient Operation," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2866, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-2866.
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engines McGraw-Hill 0-07-028637-X 582 1988
- Wijetunge R. S. Brace C. J. Hawley J. G. Vaughan N. D. Horrocks R. W. Bird G. L. “Dynamic Behavior of a High Speed Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0829 , Int. Congress and Exposition Detroit MI 1999
- Torres A. Henriot S. “Modeling the Effects of EGR Inhomogeneities Induced by Intake Systems in a Four-Valve Engine,” SAE Paper No. 961959 , Int. Fuels and Lubricants Meeting San Antonio TX 1996
- Hendricks E. Chevalier A Jensen M. Sorenson S. C. Trumpy D. Asik J. “Modeling of the Intake Manifold Filling Dynamics,” SAE Paper No. 960037 , Int. Congress and Exposition Detroit MI 1996
- Hall M. J. Zuzek P. “Fiber Optic Sensor for Time Resolved Measurements of Exhaust Gas Recirculation in Engines,” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-2865 , Int. Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Baltimore, MD 2000
- Press W. H. Teukolsky S. A. Vetterling W. T. Flannery B. P. Numerical Recipes in C 2nd Cambridge University Press 0-521-43108-5 683 19
- Penner S. S. Quantitative Molecular Spectroscopy and Gas Emissivities Addison-Wesley 1959
- Green R. M. Miller J. A. “The Measurement of Relative Concentration Profiles of NH 2 Using Laser Absorption Spectroscopy,” Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer 26 4 313 327 1981
- Quader A. A. Majkowski R. F. “Cycle-by-Cycle Mixture Strength and Residual-Gas Measurements During Cold Starting,” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-1107 , Int. Congress and Exposition Detroit MI 1999
- Ohmstede G. Hentschel W. “Time-Resolved Infrared Spectroscopy: A Variation of Temperature for Various EGR Rates in a DI-Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper No. 952516 , Int. Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Toronto, Ontario, Canada 1995