This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Oil Film Thickness Measurement and Analysis of a Three Ring Pack in an Operating Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 19, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Oil film thicknesses of the piston top ring and the second ring of a truck diesel engine have been measured simultaneously by embedding capacitance type clearance sensors in the ring sliding surfaces. Owing to the above, several phenomena such as the variation in oil film thickness of each ring in one cycle, correlation between the rings, difference in oil film thickness between the thrust and counter thrust-sides, effects of engine operating conditions on oil film thickness, etc. have been determined. Efforts have been also made to analyze the causes of such phenomena according to the measured results of piston slap motion and ring motions, and the calculated results of oil film thickness.
- Masaaki Takiguchi - Musashi Institute of Technology
- Ryuichiro Sasaki - Musashi Institute of Technology
- Ikuma Takahashi - Musashi Institute of Technology
- Fumihiko Ishibashi - Musashi Institute of Technology
- Shoichi Furuhama - Musashi Institute of Technology
- Ryoji Kai - Isuzu Motors, Ltd.
- Masaharu Sato - Isuzu Motors, Ltd.
CitationTakiguchi, M., Sasaki, R., Takahashi, I., Ishibashi, F. et al., "Oil Film Thickness Measurement and Analysis of a Three Ring Pack in an Operating Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1787, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1787.
- Noda T. et al. “Analysisi of Engine Oil Consumption (2nd Report)” Proceedings of The 8th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium Japan 313 1990
- Tian T. et al. “Modeling Piston-Ring Dynamics, Blowby, and Ring-Twist Effects” Proccedings of the 18 th Annual Fall Technical Conference of the ASME ICE 27-2 1996
- Arcoumanis A. et al. “Measurements of Lubricant Film Thickness in the cylinder of a Firing Diesel Engine Using LIF” SAE paper 982435
- Murakami, M et al. “Analysis of Oil Film Behavior between Piston and Cylinder Liner by Using Scanning-LIF” Transactions of the JSAE 25 4 1994
- Furuhama S. et al. “Measurement of Piston Ring Oil Film Thickness in an operating Engine” 1982
- Shin K. et al. “Measurement of Oil-Film-Thickness Between Piston Ring and cylinder SAE paper No. 830068
- Furuhama S. “A Dynamic Theory of Piston Ring Lubrication” Bulletin of JSME 2 7 1950
- Takiguchi M. et al. “Variation of Piston Ring Oil Film Thickness in an Internal Combustion Engine” SAE Trans. 107 Journal of Engines Section 3 1998