This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Concept of Interactive Development of a GDI System with High-Pressure Modulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 06, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2000 World Congress
The potential of fuel direct injection regarding the performances of a SI engine is transformable in significant advantages only by an accurate control of the internal air/fuel mixture formation. A main control element is the adaptability of the injection law, respectively of the spray characteristics to the thermodynamic conditions within the combustion chamber for different load and speed. This paper presents a method for the effective implementation of GDI techniques to SI engines, which is exemplified by a system with injection law modulation by pressure. The method is based of the interactive optimization of the processes within the combustion chamber respectively within the injection system, by a feed-back strategy between separate numerical simulations of both systems. For both modules the calibration is ensured by appropriate experimental analysis. The design and the performances of a direct injection system developed with this method for automotive SI engines are presented as application example.
CitationStan, C. and Lebrun, M., "Concept of Interactive Development of a GDI System with High-Pressure Modulation," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1042, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-1042.
- Stan, C.: Direct Injection Systems for SI and CI engines, Springer Verlag Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 1999, ISBN 3-540-65287
- Blair, G.P.: Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke- Engines, Chapter 7, SAE 1996 ISBN 1 - 56091 - 685 - 0
- Stan, C.: Experimental Analysis of the Fuel Spray Characteristics for DI High speed Engines Using a Ram Tuned Injection System, SAE Paper 972742
- Stan, C.: Concepts for the Development of Two-Stroke Engines, SAE Paper 931477
- Stan, C.; Hilliger, E.: Pilot Injection System for Gas Engines Using Electronically Controlled Ram Tuned Diesel Injection, 22nd CIMAC Congress, Copenhagen 1998, Proceedings, Paper 13.01
- Stan, C.; Lefebvre, J.L.: Development of a Direct Injection Concept for Two Wheelers Equipped with Two Stroke Engines SAE Paper 1999-01-1248
- Stan, C.; Eichert, H.; Tröger, R.; Martorano, L.; Bacciotini, C.; Franco,A.: Concept for Modeling and Optimization of the Mixture Formation using Gasoline Direct Injection in Compact High Speed Engines, SAE Paper 1999-01-2935
- Lebrun, M.; Richards, C.W.: How to create good models without writing a single line of code, International Fluid Power Congress SICFP97, Linköping, Sweden, May28, 29 1997
- AMESim manual, Société IMAGINE, 5 rue Brison, 42300 Roanne, France
- FLUENT Program Code, User's Guide V4.42, FLUENT Incorporated, Lebanon/USA, 1996
- Stan, C.; Eichert, H.; Martorano, L.; Franco, A.: Fluid Dynamic Modeling of Gasoline Direct Injection for Compact Combustion Chambers, SAE Paper 980755
- Franco, A.; Martorano, L.; Stan, C.; Eichert, H.: Development of Two-Stroke Engines with Direct Injection, SAE Paper 951776
- Franco, A.; Martorano, L.; Stan, C.; Eichert, H.: Numerical Analysis of the Performances of a Small Two-Stroke Engine with Direct Injection, SAE Paper 960362
- Grimaldi, C.N.; Postrioti, L.; Stan, C.; Tröger, R.: Analysis Method for the Spray Characteristics of a GDI System with High Pressure Modulation, SAE Paper 2000-01-1043