Overview of AS6500, Manufacturing Management Program
The lack of focus on manufacturing management has led to significant cost overruns, schedule delays, and quality problems. In response, the SAE G-23 Manufacturing Management Committee developed and published AS6500, Manufacturing Management Program. The standard requires proven manufacturing management practices with the goal of delivering affordable and capable systems. It’s applicable to all phases of a system acquisition life cycle and may be specified in a contract on any program with manufacturing content.
This on-demand course discusses the background and history of AS6500, why the standard was created, and how it relates to other SAE standards. The presentation explains AS6500’s detailed requirements, lists the benefits of its adoption, and provides instructions on how to implement the standard within your organization.
AS6500 is applicable across the mobility industry and is gaining momentum in the aerospace industry with suppliers interested in upgrading and improving their existing processes and procedures.
While this course is approximately 1 hour, 10 minutes in length, the estimated time to completion is 90 minutes.
What Will You Learn
- Explain the need for a manufacturing management industry standard
- Summarize the requirements of AS6500
- Describe how to tailor the AS6500 Standard to your organization
- Identify the benefits of implementing AS6500
Is This Course For You
This course will be especially valuable for operations managers, manufacturing managers, manufacturing engineers, producibility engineers, industrial engineers, process control engineers, supplier managers, quality engineers and related professionals who are interested in improving the manufacturing management function. Participants should have a familiarity with manufacturing and quality functions, tools, and practices.
The AS6500 Standard is an excellent companion to this course.
Have colleagues who need this course? Special offers are available.
Click on the Requirements tab above to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
- 90 days of online single-user access (from date of purchase) to the approximately 70 minute presentation
- Job aids (downloadable, .pdf's)
- Integrated knowledge check to reinforce key concepts
- Online learning assessment
- Follow up to your content questions
- 0.1 CEUs* (upon completion of all course content and a score of 70% or higher on the learning assessment)
- Windows 7, 8 (Apple OSX and Unix/Linux are not supported but may work)
- Pentium 4 PC
- Minimum 512 MB RAM; recommended 1 GB RAM
- Internet Explorer 10-11, Mozilla Firefox 37, Google Chrome 42 (Safari and Opera are not supported)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum
- Why AS6500 was Developed
- Initiatives and Investigations that Identified a Need
- Committee Background
- Objectives of the Standard
- Integration with Other SAE Standards
- Requirements or "Shall" Statements
- Structure of the Standard
- Section 6.1 Manufacturing Management
- Section 6.2 Manufacturing Design Analysis
- Section 6.3 Manufacturing Risk Identification
- Section 6.4 Manufacturing Planning
- Section 6.5 Manufacturing Operations Management
- Suggestions for Implementation and Tailoring Examples
- Reasons for Tailoring
- Examples for How to Tailor for Your Needs
- Benefits When Implemented
- List of Benefits
- Improving Current Processes