Introduction to Hybrid Electric Vehicle Systems
Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) models currently populating the vehicle electrification landscape indicate their dominance in the market. Although electric, plug-in, and fuel cell vehicles are making inroads in the market, the HEV stands as the market leader in adoption, and manufacturers have no plans on diminishing HEV production. HEV powertrain operation is totally different from the traditional vehicle. It is essential to understand the various operating modes and how failure modes in the hybrid system affect its operation. Scan tool data, animations, and detailed graphics are used for teaching how these systems operate and how different diagnostic approaches are required.
At the conclusion of this course from SAE training partner FutureTech*, participants will have a firm knowledge of hybrid system operation based on the different powertrain configurations and how scan tool data and diagnostics differ from traditional vehicles. Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Lexus, Toyota hybrid electric vehicle products are featured.
What Will You Learn
- List the advantages and disadvantages of HEV systems
- List the major systems contained in an HEV system
- Describe the architectures of the major HEV system designs
- List the common components found in HEV systems
- Identify HEV Powertrain component configurations
- Describe the operation of the HEV system during the four basic operating modes
- Describe the operation of an HEV Planetary Gear Set during a basic drive cycle
Is This Course For You
This course will provide engineers that need a thorough and detailed introduction to HEV technology the opportunity to learn this technology and the focus on how systems are designed, rationale for the design, powerflow, CAN PIDs, and more. Most of the fundamental information can be applied to electric, plug-in, extended range, and fuel cell systems.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the Requirements tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
*FutureTech develops and delivers comprehensive Vehicle Electrification solutions that include technical training, specialty diagnostic equipment and, professional support services to automotive service professionals. Its highly qualified network of suppliers, affiliations and, partners encompasses over 32 years of commercial experience focused in Vehicle Electrification education and technology development.
- 90 days of online single-user access (from date of purchase) to the two hour presentation
- Online learning assessment (submit to SAE)
- Course handbook (downloadable, .pdf's)
- Instructor follow up to your content questions
- 0.2 CEUs*/Certificate of Achievement (upon completion of all course content and a score of 70% or higher on the learning assessment)
*SAE International is authorized by IACET to offer CEUs for this course.
- Windows or macOS
- Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari (Other OSs and browsers including mobile devices are not supported by may work)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum
Part 1: Hybrid Electric Vehicle System Components & Locations
- Hybrid Technology
- Hybrid Technology: Fuel Economy & Emissions
- Hybrid Vehicle Components & Vehicle Products
- Hybrid Vehicle Architectures
- Common High Voltage Components
- Hybrid Systems: Basic Operating Modes
Part 2: High Voltage Powertrain Operation
- Toyota Prius Trans & Planetary Gear Operation
- Hyundai Sonata Hybrid System Operation
- Other Services on Hybrid Vehicles
|Professional Development||Lithium Ion Family Battery Systems|
|Professional Development||Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) Hybrid Battery Systems|
|Professional Development||Introduction to the Automotive Ecosystem|