Introduction to Airframe Engineering: Design for Manufacturing, Assembly and Automation
Why is a design for manufacturing, assembly and automation so important? This introductory course on airframe engineering will cover the importance of design for manufacturing, assembly and automation in aerospace. It will review what the key drivers are for a “good” design and some of the key points for manufacturing and assembly of aircraft components. It will look at how an engineer can combine traditional technologies with new, cutting-edge technologies, to determine the best scenario for success. In addition, this course will help the participant to identify the best level of automation to be considered for your specific manufacturing, assembly, and automation.
What Will You Learn
- Define and classify the key components for automation
- Identify cutting edge topics for assembly, with a focus on holes & fasteners and new assembly technologies
- Describe the transform key enablers for manufacturing to a “good” design
- Identify the right automation and the right level of automation for your factory or application
- Discuss different design solutions and rate their improvement potential
- Distinguish Composites vs. Metal Design à Advantages and Disadvantages
Is This Course For You
This course has been tailored for engineers and others involved aircraft parts manufacturing. Experienced engineers and manufacturing engineers in the aerospace industry who would like to learn how to design aircraft parts for manufacturing, assembly and automation would benefit from this course.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the Requirements tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
- Engineering – Manufacturing Engineering – Manufacturing – Discover the roles and driving powers
- What is the role of Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing and dedicated support functions
- How can the aircraft design influence other departments and at least company targets?
- Discover different aircraft applications and learn their key drivers
- Structure: Fuselage, Wing, Empennage
- Systems: Electric, Hydraulic, Water, Fuel
- Distinguish different manufacturing and assembly technologies
- Why an aircraft has fasteners – also in the future?
- Determine the optimum material, fastening technology, assembly concept – different views per function
- Learn advantages and disadvantages of a composite, metal and hybrid design
- Impact on different assembly technologies on aircraft performance
- Automation in Manufacturing – elementary part production requirements
- Automation in Assembly – requirements
- Route to 100% automation
- Calculate Return of Invest based on different design solutions