Fundamentals of Modern Vehicle Transmissions
Starting with a look at the transmission's primary function -- to couple the engine to the driveline and provide torque ratios between the two -- this updated and expanded seminar covers the latest transmission systems designed to achieve the most efficient engine operation. Current designs, the components and sub-systems used, their functional modes, how they operate, and the inter-relationships will be discussed.
A manual transmission display will be used to explain ratios and how they function within the driveline. Automatic transmission design will illustrate the concept of automatic control and hydro-mechanic decision theory and implementation. Attendees will have the opportunity to supplement these theoretical concepts with practical, "hands-on" experience using the various transmission models and components provided. Mechatronics, toroidal transmission functions, and the future of the automatic transmission will also be discussed.
Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) systems, which represent a fundamental shift in the way power is transmitted from the primary source to the remainder of the driveline will be the focus of in-depth coverage on the third day of this seminar.
What Will You Learn
- Explain the development, operational aspects and design principles of passenger vehicle and light truck transmission systems, their major components and sub-systems
- Describe the operational parameters and inter-relationships of each of the sub-systems
- Apply basic design synthesis and analysis techniques for each of the major components and sub-systems
- Compare and contrast 'stepless' to 'stepped' transmission technology
- Identify and describe the function and operation of all major components and sub-systems by participating in hands-on demonstrations
- Recognize the limitations, technological trends, and potential new products under consideration
- Summarize the direction of new passenger car transmission designs and systems
Is This Course For You
This seminar is intended for anyone not familiar with the operational theories or functional principles of modern vehicle transmission systems. As the material covered is targeted at a number of design and engineering disciplines, attendees should have a minimum of two years design experience in the automotive powertrain field, or preferably a B.S. in engineering or related field.
Also available as an SAE On Demand Course!
Fundamentals of Modern Vehicle Transmissions (PD730419)