This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
DiMethyl Ether - a Clean Fuel for Transportation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 1999 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
DiMethyl Ether (DME) has been shown to be a very promising alternative fuel, which offers low emissions and good economy when directly injected into the cylinder of diesel cycle engines. However, as it is a liquified gas, it poses special demands in terms of storage and handling.
Over the last few years, AVL has been developing fuel injection and handling systems for DME so that its full potential can be realised. This paper describes the choice of fuel injection system, describes its function and control as well as present test results.
In addition, the future outlook for DME as a fuel in transportation will be discussed.
CitationGill, D. and Ofner, H., "DiMethyl Ether - a Clean Fuel for Transportation," SAE Technical Paper 990059, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/990059.
- Hansen, J.B. et al Large Scale Manufacture of a New Alternative Diesel Fuel from Natural Gas SAE-Paper 950063
- Fleisch, T. Meurer P.C. DME The Diesel Fuel of the 21st Century ? Presented at AVL Conference “Engine and Environment 1995” Graz, Austria
- McCarthy, C. et al. A New Clean Diesel Technology: Demonstration of ULEV Emissions on a Navistar Diesel Engine Using a New Alternative Fuel SAE-Paper 950061
- Kapus, P. Ofner, H. Development of Fuel Injection Equipment and Combustion System for DI Diesels Operated on Dimethyl Ether SAE-Paper 950062
- Kapus, P. Cartellieri, W. ULEV Potential of a DI/TCI Diesel Passenger Car Engine Operated on Dimethyl Ether SAE-Paper 952754
- Ofner, H. Gill, D.W. Kammerdiener, T. A Fuel Injection System Concept for Dimethyl Ether C517/022, I MechE 1996
- Ofner, H. Kraftstoffsystem für die Einspritzung von Dimethyläther in DI Dieselmotoren Schriftenreihe Praxis-Forum, 3. Kraftstoff- und Motorkolloquium 1996
- Ofner, H. Ein DI Einspritzsystem für alternative Kraft-stoffe insbesondere Flüssiggase Tagung über: Moderne Einspritzsysteme zur Direkteinspritzung im Otto- und Dieselverfahren, Essen, Haus der Technik Sept 1997
- Krill, W. New BOSCH Solenoid Valve-Controlled Fuel Injection Systems IMechE Seminar Publication 1995-3
- McCandless, J. Li, S. Development of a Novel Fuel Injection System (NFIS) for Dimethyl Ether - and other Clean Alternative Fuels SAE-Paper 970220
- Ofner, H. Gill, D.W. Krotscheck, C. Dimethyl Ether as Fuel for CI Engines - A New Technology and its Environmental Potential SAE_Paper 981158