This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Extraction and Validation of Structural Models from Tests Under Operational Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 1999 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Experimental identification of structural dynamics models is usually based on the modal analysis approach. In the classical modal parameter estimation approach, the baseline data which are processed are Frequency Response Functions measured in laboratory conditions. However, in many applications, the real operating conditions may differ significantly from those applied during the modal test. Hence, the need arises to identify a modal model in operational conditions. This issue is even more complicated by the fact that in most cases, only response data are measurable while the actual loading conditions are unknown. Therefore, the system identification process will need to base itself on output-only data.
In this paper, the capabilities and limitations of the NexT technique and the stochastic subspace technique are evaluated for their applicability for output-only modal analysis to 3 industrial cases: the modal characterization of the rear suspension system of a family car during road tests in order to understand a booming noise problem, flight flutter analysis of a commercial aircraft and the identification of the modes of a three-span concerete bridge under ambient excitation.
CitationHermans, L. and Van der Auweraer, H., "Extraction and Validation of Structural Models from Tests Under Operational Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 990025, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/990025.
- LMS CADA-X Running modes manual 1997
- Otte D. Development and Evaluation of Singular Value Analysis Methodologies for Studying Multivariate Noise and Vibration Problems Leuven K.U. phD 1994
- Otte D. Van de Ponseele P. Leuridan J. Operational Deflection Shapes in Multisource Environments Proc. 8 th International Modal Analysis Conference 413 421 Florida 1990
- Abdelghani M. Basseville M. Benveniste A. “In-operation Damage Monitoring and Diagnostics of Vibrating Structures, with Applications to Offshore Structures and Rotating Machinery” Proc. of IMAC XV Orlando 1997
- Brown D. Allemang R. Zimmerman R. Mergeay, M. “Parameter Estimation Techniques for Modal Analysis” SAE Paper 790221 19 1979
- James G.H. III Carne T.G. Laufer J.P. “The Natural Excitation Technique (NExT) for Modal Parameter Extraction from Operating Structures, the international Journal of Analytical and Experimental Modal Analysis” 10 4 260 277 1995
- Hermans L. Van der Auweraer H. “On the Use of Auto-and Cross-correiation functions to extract modal parameters from output-only data” Proc. of the 6 th International conference on Recent Advances in Structural Dynamics, Work in progress Paper 1997
- Van der Auweraer H. Wyckaert K. Hendricx W. “From Sound Quality to the Engineering of Solutions for NVH Problems: Case Studies” Acustica/Acta Acustica 83 5 796 804 1997
- Wyckaert K. Van der Auweraer H. Hendricx W. “Correlation of Acoustical Modal Analysis with Operating Data for Road Noise Problems” Proc. 3 rd International Congress on Air- and Structure-Borne Sound and Vibration, Montreal (CND) June 13-15 1994 931 940 1994
- Wyckaert K. Hendricx W. “Transmission Path Analysis in View of Active Cancellation of Road Induced Noise in Automotive Vehicles” 3 rd International Congress on Air- and Structure-Borne Sound and Vibration, Montreal (CND) June 13-15 1994 1437 1445 1994
- Van der Auweraer H. Ishaque K. Leuridan J. “Signal Processing and System Identification Techniques for Flutter Test Data Analysis” Proc. 15th Int. Seminar of Modal Analysis Leuven K.U. 517 538 1990
- Van der Auweraer H Guillaume P “A Maximum Likelihood Parameter Estimation Technique to Analyse Multiple Input/Multiple Output Flutter Test Data” AGARD Structures and Materials Panel Specialists' Meeting on Advanced Aeroservoelastic Testing and Data Analysis, Paper no 12 May 1995
- Van der Auweraer H. Leuridan J. Pintelon R. Schoukens J. “A Frequency Domain Maximum Likelihood Identification Scheme with application to Flight Flutter Data Analysis” Proc. 8-th IMAC 1252 1261 1990