This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Near-Term Applications for ADS-B/CDTI Implementation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two studies are reported that evaluated near-term terminal and oceanic applications for ADS-B/CDTI implementation. A brief description of each application is provided with an emphasis on how a Cockpit Display of Traffic Information (CDTI) capability might help to enhance their operations. In experiment 1, sixteen line pilots flew eight terminal visual approach scenarios with target speed cues and ground track vectors presented on a CDTI. Performance measures revealed closer spacing with the CDTI and a safety benefit with respect to enhanced awareness of proximate traffic speed reductions. In experiment 2, eight additional line pilots flew six oceanic scenarios using a CDTI feature set similar to that used in experiment 1. The scenarios were based on the current In-Trial Climb/In-Trail Descent (ITC/ITD) oceanic procedures and were modified slightly to take advantage of potential CDTI capabilities. The implications of these findings with respect to the current National Airspace System (NAS) are discussed.
|Aerospace Standard||Connector Plug, Electric, Quick Disconnect|
|Aerospace Standard||CONNECTOR, RECEPTACLE, ELECTRIC, BOX MOUNTING, FRONT RELEASE, CRIMP CONTACT, AN TYPE|
|Aerospace Standard||CONTACTS, ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR, PIN, CRIMP REMOVABLE (FOR AS81714 TERMINAL JUNCTION SYSTEM)|
- Baltazar O. Olmos - The MITRE Corporation, Center for Advanced Aviation System Development
- Anand Mundra - The MITRE Corporation, Center for Advanced Aviation System Development
- James J. Cieplak - The MITRE Corporation, Center for Advanced Aviation System Development
- David A. Domino - The MITRE Corporation, Center for Advanced Aviation System Development
- Hans P. Stassen - The MITRE Corporation, Center for Advanced Aviation System Development
CitationOlmos, B., Mundra, A., Cieplak, J., Domino, D. et al., "Evaluation of Near-Term Applications for ADS-B/CDTI Implementation," SAE Technical Paper 985555, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/985555.
- Sorensen, John A. Hollister Walter Burgess Malcolm Davis Dean 1991 Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) - Cockpit Display of Traffic Information (CDTI) Investigation. Phase I -- Feasibility Study DoT/Federal Aviation Administration Washington, D. C.
- Connelly, M. E. 1977 Simulation Studies of Airborne Traffic Situation Display Applications The Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA
- Kelly, James R. 1983 Effect of Lead Aircraft Ground-Speed Quantization on Self-Spacing Performance Using a Cockpit Display of Traffic Information NASA Technical Paper 2194 Langley, VA
- Abbott, Terrence S. 1985 A Compensatory Algorithm for the Slow-Down Effect on Constant-Time-Separation Approaches NASA Technical Paper 2386 Langley, VA
- Williams, David H. Wells Douglas C. 1986 Jet Transport Flight Operations Using Cockpit Display of Traffic Information During Instrument Meteorological Conditions NASA Technical Paper 2567 Washington D. C.
- RTCA, Incorporated 1995 Report of the RTCA Board of Directors' Select Committee on Free Flight Washington, D. C.
- Cashion, P. Mackintosh M. McGann, A. Lozito, S. 1997 A study of commercial flight crew self-separation
- Wickens, C. D. Carbonari, R. Merwin, D. Morphew, E. O'Brien, J. 1997 Cockpit Displays to Support Hazard Awareness in Free Flight University of Illinois Institute of Aviation Final Technical Report (ARL-97-7/NASA-97-4) Savoy, IL Aviation Research Lab.
- Johnson, W. W. Battiste, V. Delsell, S. Holland, S. Belcher, S. Jordan, K. 1997 Development and Demonstration of a Prototype Free Flight Display of Traffic Information Proceedings of the SAE/AIAA World Aviation Congress Warrendale, PA Society for Automotive Engineering
- Yang, L. Kuchar, J. 1997 Prototype conflict alerting logic for free flight Proceedings of the 35th Aerospace Sciences Meeting Reno, NV
- Stassen, H. P. 1998 Enhancing the Safetyand Efficiency of Runway Approaches Using a Cockpit Display of Traffic Information The MITRE. Corporation/Center for Advanced Aviation System Development McLean VA
- Andrews, J. W. 1984 Air-to-Air Visual Acquisition Performance with TCAS II Project Report ATC-130 Lincoln Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Lexington, MA
- Andrews, J. W. 1991 Unalerted Air-to-Air Visual Acquisition Project Report ATC-152 Lincoln Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Lexington, MA
- Mellone, V. J. Frank, S. M. 1993 The behavioral impact of TCAS II on the National Air Traffic Control System Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Aviation Psychology Jensen R. Department of Aviation Columbus, OH:Ohio State University
- Cieplak, J. J. Peppard, K. W. Sweeney, F. Stone, R. P. Briggs, E., F. 1994 “Oceanic In-Trail Climb Using TCAS II,” Proceedings of the Air Traffic Control Association Annual Meeting Fall
- RTCA 1998 Minimum Aviation System Performance Standards (MASPS) for Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) Washington, D.C.