This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ProRAPP: A Computer Program for Propeller/Rotor Noise Prediction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The current emphasis on environment protection by reducing noise pollution has led to stricter noise standards for general aviation aircraft. As a result, there is a growing demand for a computational tool to predict the noise during the design process.
A computer program, called ProRAPP, has been developed for the prediction of noise generated by propeller/rotor blades. The acoustic pressure is calculated using a form of Ffowcs Williams-Hawkings equation which is suitable for numerical implementation. For noise predictions, the observer can either move with the propeller/rotor hub or it can be fixed to the ground. Experimental data from both wind tunnel and flight tests are used to validate the numerical results.
|Technical Paper||The Development of a Flyover Noise Prediction Technique Using Multiple Linear Regression Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Interior Noise of General Aviation Aircraft|
CitationTaghaddosi, F., Gallman, J., and Agarwal, R., "ProRAPP: A Computer Program for Propeller/Rotor Noise Prediction," SAE Technical Paper 985523, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/985523.
- Lynam F.J.H. Webb H.A. ‘The Emission of Sounds by Airscrews,’ Technical report of the Advisory Committee for Aeronautics for the Year 1918-1919 11
- Gutin L. ‘On the Sound Field of A Rotating Propeller,’ NACA Technical Memorandum 1195 1948
- Deming A.F. ‘Propeller Rotation Noise due to Torque and Thrust,’ J. of the Acoustical Society of America 12 173 182 1940
- Lighthill M.J. ‘On the Sound generated Aerodynamically, IGeneral Theory’ Proc. of the Royal Society London 211 1107 564 587 1952
- Williams J.E. Ffowcs Hawkings D.L. ‘Sound Generated by Turbulence and Surfaces in Arbitrary motion,’ Philosophical Transaction of the Royal Society London 264 1151 321 342 1969
- Farassat F. ‘Theory of Noise generated from Moving Bodies and Application to Helicopter Rotors,’ NASA TR-451 1975
- Korkan K.D. ‘Computational Aeroacoustics of Propeller Noise in the Near-Field and Far-Field,’ Proc. of the Propfan Acoustics Understanding/Application Workshop , AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting January 1987
- Meijer S. Lindblad I.A.A. Wallin S. ‘Acoustic Prediction for Transonic Propellers Including Nonlinear Near-Field Effects,’ DGLR/AIAA Paper 92-02-066 1992
- Metzger B.F. ‘A Review of Propeller Noise Prediction Methodology,’ NASA CR-198156 1995
- Gallman J.M. ‘The Validation and Application of a Rotor Acoustic Prediction Program,’ Proc. of the 1990 Army Science conference Durham, NC June 1990
- Gallman J.M. Tung C. Low S.L. ‘The Effects of Vortex Modeling on Blade-Vortex Interaction Noise prediction,’ AIAA Paper 95-0832 1995
- Schmitz F. Yu Y.H. ‘Theoretical Modeling of High Speed Helicopter Impulsive Noise,’ Third European Rotorcraft and Powered Lift Aircraft Forum Auxen Provence, France September 1977
- McCormick B.W. ‘ Aerodynamics, Aeronautics, and Flight Mechanics John Wiley & Sons New York 1995
- Green J.E. Weeks D.J. Brooman J.W.F. ‘Prediction of Turbulent Boundary Layers and Wakes in Compressible Flow by A Lag-Entrainment Method,’ R & M Report 3791 Aeronautical Research Council, HSMO London 1973
- Weir D.S. Powers J.O ‘Comparisons of Predicted Propeller Noise with Wind Tunnel and Flyover Data,’ AIAA Paper 87-0527 1987
- Jones K.E. ‘Acoustic Flight Test of the Piper Lance,’
- Zorumski W.E. ‘Aircraft Noise Prediction Program Theoretical Manual, Part 1,’ NASA TM-83199 1982
- Beranek L.L. Elwell F.S. Roberts J.P. Fayette T.C. ‘Experiments in External Noise Reduction of Light Airplanes,’ NACA TN-2079 1950
- Roberts J.P. Beranek L.L. ‘Experiments in External Noise Reduction of A Small Pusher Type Amphibian Airplane,’ NACA TN-2727 1952