This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Head-Neck Kinematics in Dynamic Forward Flexion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: Stapp Car Crash Conference
Two-dimensional film analysis was conducted to study the kinematics of the head and neck of 17 restrained human volunteers in 24 frontal impacts for acceleration levels from 6g to 15g. The trajectory of the head center of gravity relative to upper torso reference points and the rotation of head and neck relative to the lower torso during the forward motion phase were of particular interest. The purpose of the study was to analyze the head-neck kinematics in the mid-sagittal plane for a variety of human volunteer frontal sled tests from different laboratories using a common analysis method for all tests, and to define a common response corridor for the trajectory of the head center-of-gravity from those tests.
CitationDeng, B., Melvin, J., and Rouhana, S., "Head-Neck Kinematics in Dynamic Forward Flexion," SAE Technical Paper 983156, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/983156.
- Mertz H.J. Patrick L.M. “Investigation of the Kinematic and Kinetics of Whiplash” Proceedings of the 11th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 670919 1967
- Mertz H.J. Patrick L.M. “Strength and Response of the Human Neck” Proceedings of the 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 710855 1971
- Mertz H.J. Neathery R.F. Culver C.C. “Performance Requirements and Characteristics of Mechanical Necks” Human Impact Response 263 288 1973
- Melvin J.W. McElhaney J.H. Roberts V.L. “Evaluation of Dummy Neck Performance” Human Impact Response 247 261 1973
- Wismans J. Spenny C.H. “Head-Neck Response in Frontal Flexion” Proceedings of the 28th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 841666 1984
- Thunnissen J. Wismans J. Ewing C.L. Thomas D.J. “Human Volunteer Head-Neck Response in Frontal Flexion: A New Analysis” Proceedings of the 39th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 952721 1995
- Ewing C.L. Thomas D.J. “Torque versus Angular Displacement Response of Human Head to -Gx Impact Acceleration” Proceedings of the 17th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 730976 1973
- Ma D. Obergefell L.A. Rizer A.L. “Development of Human Articulating Joint Model Parameters for Crash Dynamics Simulations” Proceedings of the 39th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 952726 1995
- Begeman P.C. Levine R.S. King A.I. “Belt Slip Measurements on Human Volunteers and the Part 572 Dummy in Low -Gx Impact Acceleration” Proceedings of the 27th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE 831635 1983
- Anthropometry of Motor Vehicle Occupants UMTRI 1983