This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Design, Manufacturing and Testing of an Aluminium Cast Upright
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of aluminium cast components as the uprights is as old as racing; nevertheless this traditional technology is still a standard on budget racing cars, where the advantages of a steel sheet, welded upright are simply not affordable. It is very well known that cast uprights allow for savings in the case of large production numbers (where “large” should be intended relatively to the racing world). The upright is the component which links the wheel and brake to the rest of the suspension. Being subjected to all the road loads and part of the unsprung mass, it is a fairly critical component. Any failure can lead to an accident; also, it must be as stiff and light as possible for better suspension performance hence roadholding.
The paper describes the design of a small single-seater cast upright from the drafting phase to FEM computation to experimental testing. It is a case study rather than an innovative project, but it could be a reference for those involved in a similar design.
|Technical Paper||Design and Manufacture of Titanium Formula SAE Uprights using Laser-Powder-Deposition|
|Technical Paper||Springback Analysis with a Modified Hardening Model|
CitationCambiaghi, D., Gadola, M., and Vetturi, D., "The Design, Manufacturing and Testing of an Aluminium Cast Upright," SAE Technical Paper 983056, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/983056.
- Cambiaghi D. Gadola M. “Computer-aided racing car research and development at the University of Brescia, Italy” SAE paper n. 942507 Motorsports Engineering Conference and Exposition Dearborn (USA) December 1994
- Fina E. “Analisi F.E.A ed ottmizzazione della morfologia di un portamozzo per vetture da competizione” University of Brescia 1996 1997
- Gatti M. “Progetto esecutivo di una vettura monoposto da competizione: telaio e sospensioni” University of Brescia 1995 1996
- Branchi M. Gadola M. “Modellizzazione di sospensioni per vetture da competizione” University of Brescia 1989 1990
- Dixon J.C. “Tyres, Suspension and Handling - Third Edition” SAE 1996
- Milliken W.F. Milliken D.L. “Race Car Vehicle Dynamics” SAE 1994
- Robertson A.J. “Vehicle design” MSc lecture notes Cranfield Inst. of Technology 1992