This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of a Winston Cup Chassis for Torsional Stiffness
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Race teams are interested in understanding the influence of the various structural members on the torsional stiffness of a NASCAR Winston Cup race car chassis. In this work we identify the sensitivity of individual structural members on the torsional stiffness of a baseline chassis. A high sensitivity value indicates a strong influence on the torsional stiffness of the overall chassis. Results from the sensitivity analysis are used as a guide to modify the baseline chassis with the goal of increased torsional stiffness with minimum increase in weight and low center-of-gravity placement. The torsional stiffness of the chassis with various combinations of added members in the front clip area, engine bay, roof area, front window and the area behind the roll cage was predicted using finite element analysis. Torsional stiffness increases and weight from several competing chassis designs are reported. Twist angle and the rate of change in twist angle under torsion is calculated at several locations along the frame. With strategic placement of structural members to a baseline chassis, the torsional stiffness can be more than tripled with only a 40 lb increase in weight.
- Milliken William F. Milliken Douglas L. “Race Car Vehicle Dynamics” SAE-International 1995
- Crawford John “Finite Element Analysis of a NASCAR Winston Cup Stock Car” SAE Paper No. 942527 , SAE Motorsports Engineering Conference Detroit, MI December 1994
- NASCAR Winston Cup Rule Book 1997
- Integrated Design Engineering Analysis Software Structural Dynamics Research Corporation 1997
- Keiner, Henning “Static Structural Analysis of a Winston Cup Chassis under a Torsional Load” Department of Mechanical Engineering, Clemson University 1995
- Lampert J.K. “Design and Analysis of a Twist Fixture to Measure the Torsional Stiffness of a Winston Cup Chassis” Department of Mechanical Engineering, Clemson University August 1998
- Raju S. “Design and Analysis of a Winston Cup Race Chassis for Torsional Stiffness using the Finite Element Method” Department of Mechanical Engineering, Clemson University August 1998