This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of a Winston Cup Chassis for Torsional Stiffness
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Race teams are interested in understanding the influence of the various structural members on the torsional stiffness of a NASCAR Winston Cup race car chassis. In this work we identify the sensitivity of individual structural members on the torsional stiffness of a baseline chassis. A high sensitivity value indicates a strong influence on the torsional stiffness of the overall chassis. Results from the sensitivity analysis are used as a guide to modify the baseline chassis with the goal of increased torsional stiffness with minimum increase in weight and low center-of-gravity placement. The torsional stiffness of the chassis with various combinations of added members in the front clip area, engine bay, roof area, front window and the area behind the roll cage was predicted using finite element analysis. Torsional stiffness increases and weight from several competing chassis designs are reported. Twist angle and the rate of change in twist angle under torsion is calculated at several locations along the frame. With strategic placement of structural members to a baseline chassis, the torsional stiffness can be more than tripled with only a 40 lb increase in weight.
CitationThompson, L., Raju, S., and Law, E., "Design of a Winston Cup Chassis for Torsional Stiffness," SAE Technical Paper 983053, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/983053.
- Milliken William F. and Milliken Douglas L., “Race Car Vehicle Dynamics”, SAE-International, 1995.
- Crawford John, “Finite Element Analysis of a NASCAR Winston Cup Stock Car”, SAE Paper No. 942527, SAE Motorsports Engineering Conference, Detroit, MI, December 1994.
- NASCAR Winston Cup Rule Book, 1997.
- Integrated Design Engineering Analysis Software, Master Series, Version 5.0, Structural Dynamics Research Corporation, 1997.
- Keiner, Henning. “Static Structural Analysis of a Winston Cup Chassis under a Torsional Load”. Report # TR-95-100-ME-MSP. Department of Mechanical Engineering, Clemson University, 1995.
- Lampert J.K., “Design and Analysis of a Twist Fixture to Measure the Torsional Stiffness of a Winston Cup Chassis”, Masters Thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Clemson University, August 1998.
- Raju S., “Design and Analysis of a Winston Cup Race Chassis for Torsional Stiffness using the Finite Element Method”, Masters Thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Clemson University, August 1998.