This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of a High Performance Turbocharged S.I. Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An automotive 3.2 liter, V8, turbocharged S.I engine by Maserati is analyzed by using integrated experimental and computational methods.
An experimental activity has been carried out during the dynamometer test. Torque, fuel consumption and air-fuel equivalence ratio have been measured for several engine speeds at wide open throttle. Furthermore, cycle averaged gas pressure and temperature have been acquired in the most important engine locations.
A 1-D fluid dynamic model has been set up, for the engine simulation using the WAVE code, by Ricardo Software. The modeling guidelines are discussed in details.
The accuracy of the model has been assessed through a comparison between the experimental and computational results.
Finally, a few simulation outputs, particularly useful for addressing the optimization process, are shown.
|Technical Paper||Developing Race Engines using Advanced CAE Tools|
|Technical Paper||Optimizing Performance and Fuel Efficiency for a Formula SAE Car|
|Technical Paper||Application of Modeling Technology in a Turbocharged SI Engine|
CitationMattarelli, E. and Valentini, A., "Simulation of a High Performance Turbocharged S.I. Engine," SAE Technical Paper 983048, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/983048.
- Ricardo North America, Inc. WAVE user's manual Burr Ridge, IL, USA 1996
- Heywood J. Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Ferrari G. Motori a combustione interna 1992
- Incropera F.P. De Witt D.P. Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer John Wiley & Sons New York 1990
- Boretti, A.A. Borghi, M. “The use of discharge coefficients in thermo-fluid-dynamic numerical simulation of reciprocatting internal combustion engines” Proceedings of 3rd International Conference:“High-Tech Engines and Cars” Modena, Italy May 22-23 1997
- Boretti, A.A. Borghi, M. Cantore, G. Mattarelli, E. “Numerical optimization of a racing engine with variable intake and exhaust geometry and valve actuation” SAE P. 962542
- Boretti, A.A. Cantore, G. Mattarelli, E. Preziosi “Experimental and computational analysis of a high performance motorcycle engine” SAE P. 962526
- Boretti, A.A. Cantore, G. Mattarelli, E Borghi, M. “Computational methods for the fluid dynamic optimization of a high performance engines” Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference:“High-Tech Engines and Cars” Modena, Italy 1996