This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wear Bench Test of Materials Used for Piston Rings and Cylinder Liners of Internal Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 09, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since wear is a not a material property, but a tribological system property, it is of great importance to know the wear, friction and lubrication behavior of materials tested in bench equipment.
This work presents reciprocating pin-on-plate bench tests results, with gas nitrided stainless steel pins and gray cast iron plates.
The testing conditions were 0.5 and 3.2 Hz frequency, 20 and 600N applied load and 100 and 150 °C. Under these conditions, mild to severe wear transition was observed.
It was noticed noise emission changes at wear transition. This noise change could be used to verify wear transition mechanism.
CitationMaru, M., Tanaka, D., Sinatora, A., and Galvano, M., "Wear Bench Test of Materials Used for Piston Rings and Cylinder Liners of Internal Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 982946, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982946.
- ZUM GAHR, K.-H. Microstructure and wear of materials Elsevier Science Publishers USA 1987
- QUINN, T.F.J. Review of oxidational wear. Part I: the origins of oxidational wear Tribology International 16 5 257 71 1983
- HAYNES, G. Accelerated chromium plate ring wear associated with liner pitting SAE 831280 State of the art on design and performance of Diesel power cylinder components 1983
- HUTCHINGS, I.M. Tribology: friction and wear of engineering materials Arnold Edward Great Britain 1992
- YOSHIDA, H. KUSAMA, K. KOBAYASHI, H. WOLF, G. E. Method to improve wear resistance of nitrided rings SAE 973102 1997
- LEE, S. C. CHENG, H. S. Correlation of scuffing experiments with EHL analysis of rough surfaces Journal of Tribology 113 1991 318
- LEE, Y. LUDEMA, K.C. J. Tribology 113 2 1991 195 302 Apud PARK, K.B. LUDEMA, K.C. Evaluation of the plasticity index as a scuffing criterion Wear 175 1994 123
- LUDEMA, K. C. A review of scuffing and running-in of lubricated surfaces, with asperities and oxides in perspective Wear 100 1984 315
- American Society for Metals International ASM HANDBOOK 18 Friction, Lubrication and Technology, Metals Park ASM 1992
- LEE, S. C. CHENG, H. S. Scuffing theory modeling and experimental correlations Journal of Tribology 113 2 327 334 1991
- CZICHOS, H. Systematic diagnosis of friction and wear test data ASM Handbook 18 Friction, Lubrication and Wear technology 1992
- EYRE, T.S. et. al Characterization and simulation of wear occurring in the cylinder bore of the internal combustion engines Tribology International 23 1 11 6 1990