This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Influence of Injection Timing on Diesel Combustion by the Two-Colour Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 09, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports the results of a comprehensive project investigating the performance of a Ricardo Hydra direct injection diesel engine and concentrates on the application of the two-colour technique for obtaining quantitative data from the photographs of the combustion process.
Tests have been performed on the engine over a wide range of operating conditions, but this paper focus on the effects of injection timing on diesel combustion.
The results gave information on the distribution of temperature and soot in the combustion chamber during the burning process, and this information correlated well with gross emission measurements of smoke and oxides of nitrogen carried out on the standard version of the engine.
CitationGomes, P. and Yates, D., "Analysis of the Influence of Injection Timing on Diesel Combustion by the Two-Colour Method," SAE Technical Paper 982890, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982890.
- Bowditch, F. W. A new tool for combustion research- a quartz piston engine National Auto Week July 1960
- Rao, K. K. Winterbone, D.E. Clough, E. Laser illuminated photographic studies of the spray and combustion phenomena in a small high speed DI diesel engine SAE paper 922203 San Francisco 1992
- Rao, K. K. Winterbone, D. E. Clough, E. Influence of swirl on high pressure injection in a Hydra diesel engine SAE paper 930978 Detroit 1993
- Rao, K. K. Winterbone, D. E. Clough, E. Combustion and emission studies in high-speed DI diesel engines IMechE Conference on Combustion in Engines 1992 Mechanical Engineering Publications London
- Frankl, G. Barker, B. G. Timms, C. T. Electronic fuel injectors-revisited SAE paper 891001 1989
- Hottel, H. C. Broughton, F. P. Determination of true temperature and total radiation from luminous gas flames Ind. Engng Chem. April 1932 4 2 166 175
- Uyehara, O. A. Myers, P. S. Watson, K. M. Wilson, L. A. Flame temperature measurements in internal combustion engines Trans. ASME January 1946 17 30
- Matsui, Y. Kamimoto, T. Matsuoka, S. A study on the time and space resolved measurement of flame temperature and soot concentration in a DI diesel engine by the two-colour method SAE paper 790491 Detroit 1979
- Petersen, R. C. Wu, K. The effect of operating conditions on flame temperature in a diesel engine SAE paper 861565 , Trans. SAE 1986 6 869 883
- Quoc, H. X. Vignon, J. Brun, M. A new approach to the two-colour method for determining local instantaneous soot concentration and temperature in a DI diesel combustion chamber SAE paper 910736 Detroit 1991
- Yates, D. A. Gomes, P. C. F. Diesel engine temperatures and soot particle densities measured by the two-colour method IMechE Conference on Experimental and predictive methods in engine research and development Birmigham 17-18 November 1993 19 36 Mechanical Engineering Publications London
- Winterbone D. E. Yates D. A. Clough E. Rao, K. K. Gomes P. C. F. Sun J-H. Combustion in high-speed direct injection diesel engines - a comprehensive study In Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. - Part C.: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 208 223 240 1994
- Matsui, Y. Kamimoto, T. Matsuoka, S. Formation and oxidation processes of soot particulates in a D.I. diesel engine - an experimental study via the two-colour method SAE paper 820464 Detroit 1982
- Gomes, P. C. F. Temperature analysis of high-speed photographs of diesel combustion by the two-colour method UMIST Manchester, UK December 1995
- Tesner et al. The formation of soot from aromatic hydrocarbons in diffusion flames of hydrocarbon-hydrogen mixtures Comb Flame 17 279 1971
- MacFarlane J.J. Holderness F. H. Whitecher S. E. Soot formation rates in premixed C 5 and C 6 hydrocarbon-air flames at pressures up to 20 atmospheres Comb. Flame 8 3 215 1964
- Arcoumanis C. Bae C. Nagwaney A. Whitelaw J. H. Effect of egr on combustion development in a 1.9 l d.i. diesel optical engine SAE paper 950850 1995 Diesel Engine Combustion Processes (SP-1092)
- Brehob D. D. Kittelson D. B. A review of c.i. engine in-cylinder diagnostics for the investigation of soot loading, chemical composition, and temperature SAE paper 880515 1988