This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of New Generation Low Ash Type Diesel Engine Oils for Heavy Duty Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel engine oils for heavy duty vehicles in the Japanese market must have good total base number (TBN) retention, high load carrying capacity, and corrosion control in order to meet the requirements of the engine designs, valve train system and operating conditions. As a result, detergent type oils with high ash and low dispersancy are the preferred formulation approach. However, the use of multigrade oils combining high ash and high dispersancy is gradually increasing. This is in response to user demands for extended drain performance and improved fuel economy.
This research institute has taken a leadership position by initiating a study to develop low sulfated ash type engine oils. Engine tests have been carried out to study the performance of low sulfated ash oils. The results from work to develop a low ash diesel engine oil suitable for the next generation heavy duty vehicles are also reported.
|Technical Paper||Analysis of Potential Improvements in Engine Behavior Due to Ceramic Valve Train Components|
|Technical Paper||Integrated Simulation, Analysis and Testing of a Variable Valve Train for Passenger Car Diesel Engines|
CitationTakamura, S., Kumakura, A., and Yoshida, H., "Development of New Generation Low Ash Type Diesel Engine Oils for Heavy Duty Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 982719, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982719.
- Kikichi, K. Hashimoto, T. 3 rd Annual Fuels & Lubes Asia Conference 1997
- Kumakura, A. Matsudaira, Y. Takamura, S. Yoshida, H. Tsutihashi, K. Hashimoto, T. Products Division Meeting of The Japan Petroleum Institute 1993 22
- Hashimoto, T. Tsutihashi, K. Kumakura, A. Matsudaira, Y. Takamura, S. Yoshida, H. Journal of The Society Of Automotive Engineerings of Japan 1997 51 5 May 1997 59
- Hirose, Y. Kunoki, T. Kawashima, K. Kanai, S. Hirami, K. SAE Paper 852134 1985
- Kikuchi, K. Shigemori, M. Ichinose, K. Suzuki, S. Hirose, Y. SAE Paper 852135 1985