This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Study on Droplet Size Characteristics and Air Entrainment of Elliptic Sprays
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A series of experimental studies has been conducted to make clear the characteristics of a new type of diesel sprays, which are injected from an elliptic nozzle. The spray counter has been visualized by Laser induced fluorescence method. An instrument based on the Laser Diffraction principle was used to detect the droplet size of the sprays and a LDV system was used to measure the air entrainment. The fuel was provided from an accumulator pressurized with nitrogen. Four elliptic nozzles with different aspect ratio of the hole from 1.43 to 4.5 were tested. The equivalent diameter of the hole was about 0.33 to 0.36 mm. The injection pressure was 10 MPa. For comparison, a circular spray was also measured. The results show that the spray angle of elliptic sprays is much larger than that of the circular spray while the SMD of elliptic sprays is smaller than that of the circular spray at same experimental condition. Differences of air entrainment between the elliptic and circular spray in a dimensionless distance range of 100 to 200 were not observed.
- Gong Yunyi - National Engine Combustion Laboratory, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
- Liu Changwen - National Engine Combustion Laboratory, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
- Huang Yezhou - National Engine Combustion Laboratory, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
- Peng Zhijun - National Engine Combustion Laboratory, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China
CitationYunyi, G., Changwen, L., Yezhou, H., and Zhijun, P., "An Experimental Study on Droplet Size Characteristics and Air Entrainment of Elliptic Sprays," SAE Technical Paper 982546, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982546.
- Crighton, D. G. “Instability of an elliptic jet” J. Fluid Mech. 59 665 672 1973
- Ho, C. M. Gutmark, E. “Vortex Induction and Mass entrainment in a Small-aspect-ratio Elliptic Jet” J. Fluid Mech. 179 383 405 1987
- Husain, F. Husain, H. S. “Elliptic Jets, Part I, Characteristics of Unexcited and Excited Jets” J. Fluid Mech. 208 257 320 1989
- Xi, D. G. et al. “Experimental Study of Spray from Elliptic Orifice” ASME Winter Meeting 1992
- Shi, S. X. Xi, D. G. “A Preliminary Study on elliptic Sprays” J. of Tianjin University 27 5 1994
- Lee, G. D. “Change of Calibration of Diffraction-based Particle Sizers in Dense Sprays” Optical Engine 23 5 1984
- Gong, Y. Y. You, L. H. Liang, X. M. “An Investigation on Droplet Size Distribution and Evaporation of Diesel Fuel Sprays at High Injection Pressure by Using Laser Diagnostic Technique” SAE Transactions 101 162 175 1992