This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Statistical Determination of Correlation Between Pressure and Crankshaft Angle During Indication of Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A statistical method is described which allows a very accurate determination of the correlation between pressure and volume. The basis of the method is the pressure measurement of an engine under motoring conditions and correcting the pressure diagram with respect to heat and blow-by losses. Computation of the polytropic exponent dependent on error of phase lag determines the correlation in the pressure volume diagram. Since the internal processes in an IC engine under motoring conditions differ significantly from the ones under firing conditions, some modifications in the heat and blow-by losses models are necessary in order to be successfully applied in the proposed method. A simple optimization approach has therefore been used to correct both models. Several pressure diagrams measured under engine motoring conditions and at the different engine speeds have been studied. The intensity of the heat and leakage losses has been varied in a broad range, and correspond phase lag errors of pressure diagrams measured at different engine speeds have been calculated. The standard deviation of the phase lag error has then been determined for the particular combination of the heat and blow-by losses. Since the phase lag error has to be theoretically the same at all engine speeds, the minimization of the standard deviation with respect to the heat and blow-by losses has finally been used to determine the best correlation between pressure and volume. The method was applied to a four stroke 7.1 / Dl diesel engine. The correlation between the pressure and volume has been determined with the accuracy of ±0.025 °CA.
CitationHribernik, A., "Statistical Determination of Correlation Between Pressure and Crankshaft Angle During Indication of Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 982541, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982541.
- Brown, W.L. Methods for Evaluating Requirements and Errors in Cylinder Pressure Measurement SAE paper 670008
- Puetter, R.G. Eisele, H.P. Messung schnell veraenderlicher Druecke am Beispiel der Brennraumdruckindizirung MTZ 47 1986 2 71 74
- Moehlenkamp, H. Zur Genauigkeit der Brenngesetzrechnung eines Dieselmotors mit nichunterteiltem Brennraum MTZ 7 1976 285 291
- Hohenberg, G. Definition und Eigenschaften des thermodynamischen Verlustwinkels von Kolbenmaschinen Automobil-Industrie 4 1976 15
- Lecuona, A. Rodriguez, P.A. Evaluation of Pressure and Crank Angle Errors from Reciprocating Engine Indicator Diagrams SAE paper 860027
- Douaud, A. Eyzat, P. DIGITAP - An On-line Acquisition and Processing System for Instantaneous Engine Data Application SAE paper 770218
- Vogt, R. Thermodynamische Bestimmung des Druckes und der Winkel-zuordnung beim Indizieren von Verbrennungsmotoren MTZ 40 1979 5 229 233
- Woschni. G. Die Berechnung der Wandverluste und der thermischen Belastung der Bauteile von Dieselmotoren MTZ 31 1970 12 491 499