This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Cylinder Fuel/Air Mixture and Flame Front Visualization in a Transparent Engine Using PLIF: A Comparison Between Natural Gas and Gasoline Used as a Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study was carried out in a transparent engine. In this work we have compared results obtained from a natural gas engine fueled with a standard continuous gas injection with results obtained from a gasoline engine fueled with electronic sequential injection. To compare performance between engines of both types, we have carried out quantitative measurements of fuel/air ratio before ignition and flame image recording. Laser induced fluorescence was used with an excimer KrF laser. As the natural gas and gasoline were not fluorescent at the laser wavelength (248nm), a tracer has been mixed to the fuel. Furthermore, as this tracer is also a fuel, the fresh charge in the cylinder was fluorescent, whereas the burnt gas was not, which enable detection of flame fronts. The images recorded at different crank-angles allowed determination of parameters such as inhomogeneity, overall flame width and spatial propagation speed of flame. Those parameters yielded a characterization of the cycle-to-cycle fluctuations of mixture preparation and flame position and propagation.
CitationMedaerts, F. and Puechberty, D., "In-Cylinder Fuel/Air Mixture and Flame Front Visualization in a Transparent Engine Using PLIF: A Comparison Between Natural Gas and Gasoline Used as a Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 982524, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982524.
SAE 1998 Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V107-4 ; Published: 1999-09-15
Number: V107-4 ; Published: 1999-09-15
- Johansson, B., Neij, H., Alden, M., Juhlin, G., Investigations of the Influence of Mixture Preparation on Cyclic Variations in a SI-Engine, Using Laser Induced fluorescence, SAE technical Papers Series 950108 1995,
- Neij, H., Johansson, B., Alden, M., Development and Demonstration of 2D-LIF for Studies of Mixture Preparation in SI Engines, Combustion and Flame 1994, 99: 449-457
- Zhao, F.Q, Taketomi, M., Nishida, K., Hiroyasu, H., PLlF Measurements of the Cyclic Variation of Mixture Concentration in a S.I. Engine, SAE Technical Papers series 940988 1994,
- Andresen, P., Meijer, G., Schlüter, H., Voges, H., Koch, A., Hentschel, W., Oppermann, W., Rothe, E., Fluorescence Imaging inside an Internal Combustion Engine Using Tunable excimer Lasers, Applied Optics 1990, Vol 29, No16,
- Berckmüller, M., Tait, N.P., Lockett, R.D., G r e e n h a l g h, D. A., Ishii Kiyoshi, Urata Yasuhiro, Umiyama Hidezo, Yoshida Kazuo, In-Cylinder Crank-Angle-Resolved Imaging of fuel Concentration in a Firing Spark-Ignition Engine using Planar Laser-Induced Fluorescence, 25th Symposium on Combustion 1994, pp. 151-156,
- Lawrenz, W., Köhler, J., Meier, F., Stolz, W., Bloss, W.H., Maly, R.R., Wagner, E., Zahn, M., Quantitative 2D L/F Measurements of Air/Fuel Ratios during Intake Stroke in a Transparent SI Engine, SAE Technical Papers Series 9322320 1992,
- Wolff, D., Beushausen, V., Schluter, H., Andresen, P., Hentschel, W., Manz, P., Arndt, S., Quantitative 2D-Mixture-Fraction Imaging Inside an internal Combustion Engine using Aceton-Fluorescence, International Symposium COMODIA 1994
- Shimizu, R., Matumoto, S., Furuno,S., Murayama,M., Kojima,S., Measurement of Air-Fuel Mixture Distribution in a Gasoline Engine Using LIEF Technique, SAE Technical Papers Series 922356 1992,
- Fujikawa, T., Hattori, Y., Akihama, K., Quantitative 2-D Fuel Distribution Measurements in an SI Engine Using Laser-Induced Fluorescence with Suitable Combination of Fluorescence Tracer and Excitation Wavelength, SAE Technical Papers Series 972944 1997,
- Reboux, J., Puechberty, D., Dionnet, F., A New Approach of Planar Laser Induced Fluorescence Applied to Fuel/Air Ratio Measurement in the Compression Stroke of an Optical S.I. Engine, SAE Technical Papers Series 941988 1994,
- Reboux, J., Puechberty, D., Dionnet, F., Study of Mixture Inhomogeneities and Combustion Development in a S.-I. Engine using a New Approach of Laser Induced Fluorescence (FARLIF)“, SAE Technical Papers series 961205 1996,
- Berckmuller, M., Tait, N.P., G r e e n h a l g h, D.A., “The Influence of the Local Concentration on Cyclic variability of a Lean Burn Stratified-Charge Engine” SAE Technical Papers series 970826 1997,
- Baritaud, T.A., Heinze, T.A., “Gasoline Distribution Measurements with PLIF in a SI Engine” SAE Technical Papers Series 922355 1990,
- Grunefeld, G., Beushausen, V., Andresen, P., Hentschel, W., “A Major Origin of Cyclic Energy Conversion Variations in SI Engines: Cycle-by-Cycle Variations of the Equivalence Ratio and Residual Gas of the Initial Charge” SAE Technical Papers series 941880 1994,
- Ghandhi, J.B., Bracco, F.V., “Fuel Distribution Effects on the Combustion of a Direct-Injection Stratified-Charge Engine” SAE Technical Papers series 950460 1995,
- Ozdor, N., Dulger, Sher, E., ‘Cyclic Variability in Spark Ignition Engines a Literature Survey” SAE Technical Papers series 940987 1994,
- Bates, S.C., “Flame Imaging of Flame Development in a SI Four-Stroke Engine” The American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics 1990.