This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Hydrocarbon Molecular Structure on Diesel Exhaust Emissions Part 1: Comparison of Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics among Representative Diesel Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Combustion and exhaust emission characteristics were compared among three representative diesel fuels called “Base (corresponding to a Japanese market fuel)”, “Improved” and Swedish “Class-1” using both a modern small and an optically accessible single-cylinder DI diesel engines. In these tests, the relative amount of PM collected in the exhaust was “Base” >“Class-1” >“Improved” at almost all of the operating conditions. This means that “Class-1” generated more PM than “Improved”, even though “Class-1” has significantly lower distillation temperatures, aromatic content, sulfur, and density compared with “Improved”. There was little difference in combustion characteristics such as heat release rate pattern, mixture formation and flame development processes between these two fuels. However, it was found that “Class-1” contained more branches in the paraffin fraction and more naphthenes. From these results, there is a possibility that branched structures in the paraffin fraction and naphthenes in diesel fuels can influence the PM emissions, especially in the case of low aromatic content fuels.
- Kiyomi Nakakita - Toyota Central Research & Development Laboratories, Inc.
- Semon Takasu - Toyota Central Research & Development Laboratories, Inc.
- Hitoshi Ban - Toyota Central Research & Development Laboratories, Inc.
- Tadao Ogawa - Toyota Central Research & Development Laboratories, Inc.
- Hikaru Naruse - Toyota Motor Corp.
- Yukihiro Tsukasaki - Toyota Motor Corp.
- Lisa I. Yeh
CitationNakakita, K., Takasu, S., Ban, H., Ogawa, T. et al., "Effect of Hydrocarbon Molecular Structure on Diesel Exhaust Emissions Part 1: Comparison of Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics among Representative Diesel Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 982494, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982494.
SAE 1998 Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V107-4; Published: 1999-09-15
Number: V107-4; Published: 1999-09-15
- Ullman T. L. Mason R. L. Montalvo D. A. “Effects of Fuel Aromatics, Cetane Number, and Cetane Improver on Emissions from a 1991 Prototype Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 902171 1990
- Sienicki E. J. Jass R. E. Slodowske W.J. McCarthy C. I. Krodel A. L. “Diesel Fuel Aromatic and Cetane Number Effects on Combustion and Emissions from a Prototype 1991 Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 902172 1990
- Miyamoto N. Ogawa H. Shibuya M. Suda T. “Description of Diesel Emissions by Individual Fuel Properties” SAE Paper 922221 1992
- Arai M. “Impact of Changes in Fuel Properties and Lubrication Oil on Particulate Emissions and SOF” SAE Paper 920556
- Kobayashi S. Nakajima T. Hori M. “Effect of Fuel Properties on Diesel Exhaust Emissions” SAE Paper 945121 1994
- Kobayashi S. Akiyama K. Nakajima T. Sasaki S. “Effect of Chemical Structure on Diesel Exhaust Emissions” JSAE Paper 9433588 1994
- Tsurutani K. Takei Y. Fujimoto Y. Matsudaira J. Kumamoto M. “The Effects of Fuel Properties and Oxygenates on Diesel Exhaust Emissions” SAE Paper 952349 1995
- Ogawa T. Araga T. Okada M. Fujimoto Y. “Fuel Effects on Particulate Emissions from DI Engine - Chemical Analysis and Characterization of Diesel Fuel” SAE Paper 952351 1995
- Akasaka Y. Sakurai Y. “Effects of Fuel Properties on Exhaust Emission from DI Diesel Engine” Transactions of JSME 63 607 1091 1097 1997
- Fujimoto Y. Tsukasaki Y. Takei Y. Nakada M. Ogawa T. “Effects of Diesel Fuel Properties on Particulate Emissions from DI Diesel Engine” EAEC 5th International Congress SIA 9506A05 1995
- Nakakita K. Miwa K. Ohsawa K. Takahashi T. Watanabe S. Sami H. “Effects of High-Pressure Fuel Injection on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions of a High-Speed DI Diesel Engine” JSAE Review 12 1 18 25 1991
- Nakakita K. Kawamura K. Ohsawa K. Takahashi T. Watanabe S. “A Study on Mechanisms of Diesel NOx Formation and Soot Reduction under High-Pressure Fuel Injection” -Transactions of JSAE 24 1 5 9 1993
- Nakakita K. Kondoh T. Ohsawa K. Takahashi T. Watanabe S. “Optimization of Pilot Injection Pattern and Its Effect on Diesel Combustion with High-Pressure Injection” JSME International Journal 37 4 1994
- Nakakita K. Kondoh T. Watanabe S. “A Study on Diesel Combustion with High-Pressure Fuel Injection; Improvement of Combustion and Exhaust Emissions Using Small-Hole-Diameter Nozzles” Transactions of JSME 60 577 3198 3206 1994