This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Knock Suppression in a Turbocharged SI Engine by Using Cooled EGR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The work presented in this paper addresses the effects on combustion of recycling cooled exhaust gas (EGR) to the inlet charge of a standard production, four cylinder 2.3 l turbocharged, SI engine. The effect of various amounts of EGR at different temperatures and ignition timings were investigated. Considerable knock suppression at power output comparable with what was achieved with fuel enrichment, could be achieved by adding cooled EGR.
Due to inherent high thermal loads, turbocharged engines have been operated at rich air/fuel-ratios during high load conditions, with subsequent high tailpipe emissions of CO in particular, but also HC. By substituting fuel enrichment with cooled EGR, a stoichiometric charge can be used, thus enabling the use of a three way catalytic converter at all operating conditions.
CitationGrandin, B., Ångström, H., Stålhammar, P., and Olofsson, E., "Knock Suppression in a Turbocharged SI Engine by Using Cooled EGR," SAE Technical Paper 982476, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982476.
SI Engines: Combustion and Emission Formation
Number: SP-1393; Published: 1998-10-19
Number: SP-1393; Published: 1998-10-19
- König, G. Sheppard, C. G. W. Maly, R. R. Bradley, D. Lau, A. K. C. “Role of Exothermic Centres on Knockinitiation and Knock Damage” SAE paper 902136 1990
- Westbrook, C.K. Pitz, W.J. Leppard, W.R. “The Autoignition of Paraffinic Fuels and Pro-Knock and Anti-Knock Additives: A Detailed Chemical Kinetic Study” SAE paper 912314 1991
- Shiga, S. Yagi, S. Morita, M. Matsumoto, T. Nakamura, H. Karasawa, T. “Effects of Early-Closing of Intake-valve on the Engine Performance in a Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE paper 960585 1985
- Ichimaru, K. Sakai, H. Kanesaka, H. Winterbone, D. “A Rotary Valve Controlled High Expansion Ratio Gasoline Engine” SAE paper 940815 1994
- Hitomi, M. Sasaki, J. Hatamura, K. Yano, Y. “Mechanism of Improving Fuel Efficiency by Miller Cycle and its Future Prospect” SAE paper 950974 1995
- Harrington, J. A. “Water addition to gasoline - Effect on Combustion, Emissions, Performance and Knock” SAE paper 820314 1982
- Kuwahara, K. Ueda, K. Ando, H. “Mixing Control Strategy for Engine Performance Improvement in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine” SAE paper 980158 1998
- Neame, G.R. Gardiner, D.P. Mallory, R.W. Rao, V.K. Bardon, M.F. Battista, V. “Improving the Fuel Economy of Stoichiometrically Fuelled S.I. Engines by Means of EGR and Enhanced Ignition-A Comparison of Gasoline, Methanol and Natural Gas” SAE paper 952376 1995
- Tabata, M. Yamamoto, T. Fukube, T. “Improving NOx and Fuel Economy for Mixture Injected SI Engines with EGR” SAE paper 950684 1995
- Lumsden, G. Eddleston, D. Sykes, R. “Comparing Lean Burn and EGR” SAE paper 970505 1997
- Han, S. Cheng, W. K. “Design and Demonstration of a Spark Ignition Engine Operating in a Stratified-EGR Mode” SAE paper 980122 1998
- Diana, S. Giglio, V. Iorio, B. Police, G. “A strategy to improve the efficiency of stoichiometricic spark ignition engines” SAE paper 961953 1996
- Brüstle, C. Hemmerlein, N. “Exhaust gas turbocharged SI engines and thair ability of meeting future demands” IMechE 1994
- Bradely, D. Kalghatgi, G.T Golmbok M. “Fuel Blend and Mixture Strength Effects on Autoignition Heat Release Rates and Knock Intensity in S.I. Enginges” SAE paper 962105 1996
- Heywood, John B. “Internal combustion engine fundamentals” McGraw - Hill,inc 1988
- Kanury, A. Murty “Introduction to combustion phenomena” Gordon and Breach science publishers 1975
- Franklin, M. L. Murphy, T. E. “A Study of Knock and Power Loss in the Automotive Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 890161 1989