This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Mixture Conditions Close to Spark Plug Location using a Time Resolved Gas Sampling Valve
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The quality of air-/fuel-mixture is of prime importance for cycle fluctuations of combustion. Investigations of mixture formation and conditions in SI engines have been subject of intensive research since many years.
The scope of this work was to investigate crank angle resolved determination of qualitative and quantitative mixture conditions inside the combustion chamber in dependence on various engine operating conditions. For this experimental investigation a time resolved Gas Sampling Valve (GSV) was combined with a flame ionisation detector (FID), a CO2-analyzer and a mass spectrometer. The GSV also enables the determination of residual gas concentration. Measurements on a DI gasoline engine show influences of air-/fuel-mixture in dependence on various engine operating conditions when the engine runs in charge stratification mode. Moreover, experimental results of local mixture composi-tion are compared with fuel distribution, calculated from CFD-codes.
CitationKölmel, A., Spicher, U., Düsterwald, R., and Wytrykus, F., "Analysis of Mixture Conditions Close to Spark Plug Location using a Time Resolved Gas Sampling Valve," SAE Technical Paper 982473, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982473.
- Tabaczynski R.J. Heywood J.B. Keck J.C. “Time-Resolved Measurements of Hydrocarbon Mass Flowrate in the Exhaust of Spark-Ignition-Engine,” SAE 720112 1972
- Spicher U. Velji A. Klüting M. Huynh H.N. Knoche K.-F. Pischinger F. MTZ 463 469 Wiesbaden 1985
- Schneider S. Lepperhof G. MTZ 85 87 Wiesbaden 1995
- Jodocy B. RWTH Aachen 1990
- Whitehouse N.D. Clough E. Roberts P.S. “Investigation Diesel Engine Combustion by Means of a Timed Sampling Valve,” SAE 770409 1977
- Hansen J. RWTH Aachen 1989
- SMETec GmbH “User Guide - Gas Sampling System,” Geilenkirchen 1997
- Brettschneider J. Stuttgart 1979
- Kech J.M. Reissing J. Gindele J. Spicher U. “Analyses of the Combustion Process in a Direkt Injection Gasoline Engine,” The Fourth International Symposium COMODIA 98 Kyoto 1998
- Kleinschmidt W. 2 RWTH Aachen 1974
- Komiyama K. Heywood J.B. “Predicting NO X -Emissions and Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation in Spark-Ignition Engines,” SAE 730475 1973
- Senecal P.K. Xin J. Reitz R.D. “Prediction of Residual Gas Fraction in IC Engines,” SAE 962052 1996
- Fox J.W. Cheng W.K. Heywood J.B. “A Model for Predicting Residual Gas Fraction in Spark-Ignition Engine,” SAE 931021 1993
- Bach M. 1997