This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Method for the Investigation of Unburned Oil Emissions in the Raw Exhaust of SI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The study of oil emission is of essential interest for the engine development of modern cars, as well as for the understanding of hydrocarbon emissions especially during cold start conditions.
A laser mass spectrometer has been used to measure single aromatic hydrocarbons in unconditioned exhaust gas of a H2-fueled engine at stationary and transient motor operation. These compounds represent unburned oil constituents. The measurements were accompanied by FID and GC-FID measurements of hydrocarbons which represent the burned oil constituents. The total oil consumption has been determined by measuring the oil sampled by freezing and weighing. It has been concluded that only 10 % of the oil consumption via exhaust gas has burned in the cylinders.
A correlation of the emission of single oil-based components at ppb level detected with the laser mass spectrometer to the total motor oil emission has been found. Thus, the system provides an on-line method for measurement of the oil consumption.
CitationPüffel, P., Thiel, W., Frey, R., and Boesl, U., "A New Method for the Investigation of Unburned Oil Emissions in the Raw Exhaust of SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 982438, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982438.
- Graf F. Köck K. Oil consumption measurement based on a high resolution level measurement principle MTZ 56 424 1995
- Bergmann M. Röthig J. Seibold J. Zeuner A. Oil consumption measuring method by labelling with radioactive bromine MTZ 58 102 1997
- Frey R. Nagel H. Franzen J. Betzold H. Ulke W. Boesl U. Fast multicomponent exhaust gas ana-lyzer for dynamic exhaust measurements SAE Techn. Paper Series No 940826 1994
- Frey R. Nagel H. Franzen J. Rikeit H.-E. Time-resolved measurements of individual hydrocarbons in automotive exhaust at transient engine operation SAE Techn. Paper Series No 951053 1995
- Nagel H. Frey R. Boesl U. On-line analysis of formaldehyde and acetaldehyde in non-stationary engine operation using laser mass spectrometry SAE Techn. Paper Ser. No 961084 1996
- Nagel H. Frey R. Hartgerink C. Rikeit H.-E. Greiner R.-D. Klein Ch. Boesl U. On-line analysis of individual hydrocarbons in automotive exhaust: Dealkylation of the aromatic hydrocarbons in the cartalytic converter SAE Techn. Paper Series No 971606 1997
- Nagel H. Laser mass spectrometry of molecular trace substances: On-line analysis of dynamic processes and catalytic reactions in the exhaust gas of combustion engines Techn. University of Munich 1997 Utz-Verlag H. Boesl U. Schlag E.W. Munich 3-89675-134-4 1997
- Püffel P.K. Resonant laser mass spectrometry for trace analysis of oil constituents in the exhaust of combustion engines: Development of new methods for the investigation of oil emission processes Techn. University of Munich 1998 Utz-Verlag H. Boesl U. Schlag E.W. Munich 3-89675-344-4 1998
- Püffel P.K. BMW AG