This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Reactor Design on the Plasma Treatment of NOx
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the results of experiments in which various parameters were varied systematically in an attempt to understand how the reactor design affects the energy efficiency for plasma processing of NOX. These parameters include the packing material, electrode diameter, and voltage frequency. It is shown that the applied voltage is not the relevant parameter when comparing the performance of different plasma reactors. The important control parameter is the input energy density. In accordance with the observations reported by Penetrante et al. [Applied Physics Letters 68, 3719-3721 (1996)], we have found that reactor design has little influence on the basic energy consumption of the plasma. Consequently, different reactor designs should yield basically the same plasma chemistry if the experiments are performed under identical gas composition and temperature conditions.
CitationMcLarnon, C. and Penetrante, B., "Effect of Reactor Design on the Plasma Treatment of NOx," SAE Technical Paper 982434, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982434.
- McLarnon, C.R. Penetrante, B.M. “Effect of Gas Composition on the NO X Conversion Chemistry in a Plasma” SAE Paper 982433 1998
- Penetrante, B.M. Hsiao, M.C. Merritt, B.T. Vogtlin, G.E. Wallman, P.H. “Comparison of Electrical Discharge Techniques for Non-Thermal Plasma Processing of NO in N 2 .” IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci. 23 679 1995
- Penetrante, B.M. Hsiao, M.C. Merritt, B.T. Vogtlin, G.E. Wallman, P.H. Kuthi A. Burkhart, C.P. Bayless, J.R. “Electron-Impact Dissociation of Molecular Nitrogen in Atmospheric-Pressure Non-Thermal Plasma Reactors” Appl. Phys. Lett. 67 3096 1995
- Penetrante, B.M. Hsiao, M.C. Merritt, B.T. Vogtlin, G.E. Wallman, P.H. Neiger, M. Wolf, O. Hammer, T. Broer, S. “Pulsed Corona and Dielectric-Barrier Discharge Processing of NO in N 2 ” Appl. Phys. Lett. 68 3719 1996
- Cosby, P.C. “Electron-impact Dissociation of Nitrogen” J. Chem. Phys. 98 9544 1993
- Clyne, M.A.A. Thrush, B.A. “Rates of the Reactions of Nitrogen Atoms with Oxygen and with Nitric Oxide” Nature (London) 189 56 57 1961