This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Determination of Forming Limits for Aluminum Alloys
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Aluminum alloy sheets of 2010-T4 of 0.831 mm and 2.590 mm thicknesses and 6111-T4 of 1.029 mm thickness were tested to determine the Forming Limit Diagrams (FLDs). The forming limit curves were obtained from both rolling and transverse samples. Due to the large scatter observed in the experimental data, exact identification of the forming limit based on incipient necking was not an easy task. Two alternate methods of determining the equivalent FLDs were explored and tested. The resulting forming limit curves based on the two methods are reasonably consistent with trends indicated by previous forming limit diagram determinations.
CitationSmith, P. and Lee, D., "Determination of Forming Limits for Aluminum Alloys," SAE Technical Paper 982375, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982375.
- Tata M. M. Oh J. S. Lee D. “The Nature of Localized Deformation in 6111-T6 Aluminum Alloy and Polycarbonate,” Journal of Materials Science 33 1998 2781 2794
- Keeler S. P. “Circular Grid System-A Valuable Aid for Evaluating Sheet-Metal Formability,” Sheet Metal Industries Sept. 1968 633 641
- Hecker S. S. “Simple Technique for Determining Forming Limit Curve,” Sheet Metal Industries November 1975 671 676
- Story J. M. et al. “Issues and Trends in Automotive Aluminum Sheet Forming,” Sheet Metal and Stamping Symposium SAE Symposium Publication 1 1993
- Smith P. E. “Forming Limit Curve Variability of Aluminum Sheet,” IBEC'94, International Body Engineering Conference 1994 68 69
- Marron G. Moinier L. Patou P. Celeski J. C. “A New Necking Criterion for the Forming Limit Diagrams,” La Revue de Metallurgie-CIT Juin 1997 838 844
- ASAME Strain Measurement System CamSys, Inc. Troy, NY 1990 Vogel J. H. Lee D. “The Automated Measurement of Strains from Three-Dimensional Deformed Surfaces,” Journal of metal 42 Feb. 1990 8 13
- Adijuwono E. F. Lee D. “Effect of Sheet Thickness on the Formability of 6111-T6 Aluminum AAlloy,” Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Report 97-112 Troy, NY 1997
- Keeler S. P. “Automotive Sheet Metal Formability,” Research Report AU 89-1 to the Automotive Application Committee American Iron and Steel Institute January 1989 4.2.3 4.2.12