This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Application of Steel and Aluminum in a New Lightweight Car Body Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hoogovens has developed a concept for a car body, based on both steel and aluminum, which can fulfil the future requirements for so called three liter cars. The purpose of this design study was to develop a car body with a maximum weight reduction combined with low production costs in order to make the car suitable for mass production.
In the paper, the developments at the new Hoogovens Product Application Centre are shown on the basis of this design; the hydroforming of steel tubes, the forming of high strength steel, the use of tailored blanks, Steelite® and Hylite® sandwich materials and the application of aluminum body sheet.
CitationLangerak, N. and Kragtwijk, S., "The Application of Steel and Aluminum in a New Lightweight Car Body Design," SAE Technical Paper 982285, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982285.
- Van Schaik, M. Schulze B. Carleer B. Kragtwijk, S. vVeldhuizen B. “The Hydroforming Technology seen through the eyes of a Material Supplier and a Hydroformer” IBEC'98
- Bodin, A. Edelman A.B.C. Hekker P.M. “Exploring the Possibilities of Improving the Properties of Hot Rolled High Strength Steel: Computer Simulations in Product Development” High Strength Steel Sheets for the Automotive Industry Baltimore October 1994
- Zijp, J.P. Ruifrok R.W. Roelofsen M.E. “Processing and Application of Rephosphorised IF Steels” 39 th Conference NWSP Indianapolis October 1997
- Crain, L.M. “Virtual Manufacturing, The Next Revolution In Global Manufacturing” 1996
- Langerak, N.A.J. “The Deep Drawing of Zinc Coated Steel; Finite Element Modeling and Numerical Verification” IBEC'96
- Langerak, N.A.J. “The use of Steel and Aluminum in the next generation Auto Bodies” IBEC'97
- Carleer, B.D. “Finite Element Analyses of Deep Drawing” 1997
- An, Y. Vegter H. “The Difference in the Plastic behavior between Bulging test and through thickness compression test for sheet steels and aluminum alloys” IDDRG'98
- Atzema, E. Van der Berg A.C. Brocking R.G.J. van Stijn I.P.M. “Springback in Round Deep Drawn Products, Experimental and Numerical Research” IDDRG'98
- Vreede, P.T. Roelofsen M.E. Bröcking R.G.J. Kranendonk W.G.T. “Dent Resistance And Material Properties” IBEC'96
- Van der Berg, A. Meinders T. Stokman B. “Simulation of Deep Drawing of Tailored Blanks” IDDRG'98
- de Winter, L.C. et al. “Crash Behavior of Columns in Relation to Material Properties and Joining Techniques” IBEC'98
- Veenstra, E.W. “Aluminium-Plastic-Aluminium Sandwich Sheet for Maximum Weight Reduction in Body Panels” SAE 1993
- Boesenkool, R. Hurkmans A. Jansen T.J. Roukema M. “The Development of a Light Weight Deep Drawable Steel-Plastic-Steel Sandwich” Euromat, Maastricht 1997
- Bottema, J. et al. “Recent Developments in AA6016 Aluminium type Body Sheet Product” SAE 1998
- Bottema, J. Zhuang L. Bergsma A. 1998
- Baartman, R. Atzema E. Bottema J. “Optimisation of the Hemming Process for AA6016-T4 Aluminium Body Sheet” ISATA 1998
- Lahaije, C. T. Emmens W.C. Bottema J. Schoepen F. Verhoeven G. “The Influence of Substrate Texture on Forming and Paint Appearance of Aluminium Sheet Material” IBEC'97
- Lahaye C.T. Janson I. Olofsson A. Maurus N. “Influence of the Application of Dry-lubricants on the Production Route for Aluminium Hang-on Parts at Volvo” IBEC'98
- Emmens, W.C. “Friction of Aluminium in Deep Drawing” IDDRG'98
- Lahaye, C.T. Soderlund J. ten Have D. Schwenk H. “Development of Aluminium Prototype Bonnets for the Saab 9-3” IBEC'98
- Buters, W.Th.M. Retter Th. Stall W. “Hemflanging Hylite Sandwich Sheet for Mass Production” IBEC'98