This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling and Analysis of Microstructure Development in Resistance Spot Welds of High Strength Steels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 29, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, an incrementally coupled finite element analysis procedure is used to analyze the electrical, thermal, and mechanical interaction during resistance spot welding processes. The results of the finite element analysis are validated by experimental measurements of the weld nugget sizes and dynamic resistance. The temperature results from the thermo-electric analysis are used as the input for the prediction of the microstructure evolution in the resistance spot welds of high strength steels. Consequently such welding parameters as welding current, electrode force, electrode designs, cooling water temperature and flow rate, and electrode holding time can be linked with the weld nugget size, microstructure and mechanical properties in spot welds, and eventually the residual stresses and performance of spot welded structures.
CitationLi, M., Dong, P., and Kimchi, M., "Modeling and Analysis of Microstructure Development in Resistance Spot Welds of High Strength Steels," SAE Technical Paper 982278, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982278.
- Syed M. and Sheppard S., Modeling and Control of Joining Processes, Zacharia T., ed., AWS/ORNL, 422-429 (1993)
- Li M. V., Dong P., and Kimchi M., Seventh Int. Conf. Computer Technology in Welding, Siewert T., ed., NIST, 423-434 (1997)
- Sun X., Dong P., and Kimchi M., Seventh Int. Conf. Computer Technology in Welding, Siewert T., ed., NIST, 447-457 (1997)
- Li M. V., Dong P., and Kimchi M., submitted to Welding Journal
- Li M. V., Dong P., and Kimchi M., Seventh Int. Conf. Computer Technology in Welding, Siewert T., ed., NIST, 389-398 (1997)
- Cho H. S. and Cho Y. J., Welding Journal, 68(6), 236s-244s (1989).
- Tsai C. L., Dai W. L., Dickinson D. W., and Papritan J. C., Welding Journal, 70(12), 339s-351s (1991).
- Browne D. J., Chandler H. W., Evans J. T., and Wen J., Welding Journal, 74(10), 339s-344s (1995)
- Volger M. M. and Sheppard S. D., Int. Trends in Welding Science and Technology, David S. A. and Vitek J. M., eds., 57-61 (1992)
- Li M. V., Niebuhr D. V., Meekisho L. L., and Atteridge D. G., to appear in Metallurgical and Materials Transaction B, 29B(3), 661-672, (1998)
- Andrews K. W., J. Iron Steel Inst., 203, 721-727 (1969)