This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Solid Lubricants on Friction Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 20, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Friction materials with three different formulations containing different solid lubricants were investigated to study the role of lubricants on the friction performance. The three friction materials contained 10 vol.% graphite, 7 vol.% graphite + 3 vol.% Sb2S3, and 7 vol.% graphite + 3 vol.% MoS2, respectively, with the same amount of other ingredients. Results of this work showed that each formulation had advantages and disadvantages. The friction materials containing two lubricants (graphite + MoS2 or Sb2S3) showed better resistance to fading and improved friction stability than the friction material containing only graphite. However, the friction materials with two lubricants showed disadvantages on anti-fading, wear resistance, and DTV generation.
CitationJang, H., Lee, J., Kim, S., and Jung, K., "The Effect of Solid Lubricants on Friction Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 982235, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982235.
- Jacko M. G. Lee S. K. “Brake Linings and Clutch Facings” Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology 4th 4 523 536 1992
- Jang H. “Effect of the Amount of a Lubricant and an Abrasive in the Friction Materials on Friction Characteristics” J. of KSTLE 13 1 34 41 1997
- Lipp L. C. “Solid Lubricants - Their Advantages and Limitations” Lubrication Engineering 2 11 574 584 3 1975
- Buckley D. H. “Surface Effects in Adhesion, Friction, Wear and Lubrication,” 569 616 1981
- Jang H. Chung M. J. “Frictional Characteristics of Low-met and Non-asbestos Organic Friction Materials: the Comparative Studies” 15 th SAE Brake Colloquium and Engineering Display Oct. 6-8 Tempe, AZ 1997
- Centers P.W. Price F. D. “Tribological Performance of MoS2 Compacts Containing Sulfur, Sb 2 S 3 or Sb 2 S 4 ” Wear 129 205 213 1989
- Bowen F. P. Tarbor D. “The friction and Lubrication of Solids” Oxford Univ. Press 186 204 1964
- Kim S. J. Jang H. “Study of Friction Characteristics of NAO and Semi-metallic Brake Pads during Automotive Braking” J. of KSTLE 13 3 10 19 1997
- Gardos M. N. “The Synergistic Effects of Graphite on the Friction and Wear of MoS 2 Films in Air” Tribology Transactions 31 2 214 227 1987
- Gansheimer J. “Influence of Certain Vapors and Liquids on the Frictional Properties of Molybdenum Disulfide” ASLE Transactions 10 390 1967
- Kay E. “The Corrosion of Steel in Contact with Molybdenum Disulfide” Royal Aircraft Establishment Oct. 1965
- Ross S. Sussman A. “Surface Oxidation of Molybdenum Disulfide” J. of Phys and Chemistry 59 889 1959