This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modelling the Use Phase of Passenger Cars in LCI
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 30, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The results of previous Life Cycle Assessments indicate the ecological dominance of the vehicle's use phase compared to its production and recycling phase. Particularly the so-called weight-induced fuel saving coefficients point out the great spectrum (0.15 to 1.0 l/(100 kg · 100 km)) that affects the total result of the LCA significantly. The objective of this article, therefore, is to derive a physical based, i.e. scientific chargeable and practical approved, concept to determine the significant parameters of a vehicle's use phase for the Life Cycle Inventory.
It turns out that - besides the aerodynamic and rolling resistance parameters and the efficiencies of the power train - the vehicle's weight, the rear axle's transmission ratio and the driven velocity profile have an important influence on a vehicle's fuel consumption. The coefficient for the reduction of fuel consumption on gasoline powered vehicles ranges from 0.34 to 0.48 ltr/(100 kg × 100 km) in the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC), while the saving on diesel vehicles is somewhat lower at 0.29 to 0.33 ltr/(100 kg × 100 km) in the NEDC.
CitationEberle, R. and Franze, H., "Modelling the Use Phase of Passenger Cars in LCI," SAE Technical Paper 982179, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982179.
- Franze, H. Society of German Engineers Düsseldorf 1993
- Neumann, U. Univer-sity of Paderborn Paderborn 1996
- Aichinger H. M. Society of German Iron Industrie Members (VDEh) Düsseldorf 1995
- Rechs, M. Pingen, B. Kunde, O. October 1995
- Schäper, S. „Recycling of Aluminium Intensive Cars: The Audi A8” International Conference on Car Recycling and Recovery October 1997
- Emmelmann, H. J. Society of German Engineers Düsseldorf 1994
- Weber, R. Springer Berlin, Heidelberg, New York 1990
- N.N. Directive 93/116/EEC for the adjustment of Directive 80/1268 EEC of the European Council on Fuel Consumption of vehicles to the technical Progress, Gazette of the European Community No. L 329 December 1993
- Keller, K. Student Thesis in Cooperation with BMW Technical University of Munich July 1998