This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Real Time Sampling and Analysis of Biological Biomarkers by TOF Mass Spectrometry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 13, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We are developing and testing a small, efficient time-of-flight mass spectrometer to rapidly identify important biomarkers for human space exploration. We are also evaluating critical biomarkers that are indicators of muscle atrophy and bone demineralization associated with space travel. We have recorded mass spectral signatures of several biomarkers. Compounds under investigation include: insulin-like growth factors (IGF-I), urinary 3-methylhistidine, estradiol, and creatinine. We have also completed initial studies of trivalent hydroxypyridinium crosslinks which are excreted as free pyridinolines in urine during bone resorption.
CitationAntoine, M., Bryden, W., Ko, H., Scholl, P. et al., "Real Time Sampling and Analysis of Biological Biomarkers by TOF Mass Spectrometry," SAE Technical Paper 981740, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981740.
- Cotter, R.J. Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry, Instrumentation and Applications in Biological Research American Chemical Society Washington, DC 1997
- Wiley, W.C. McLaren, I. H. “Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometer with Improved Resolution,” Rev. Sci. Instrum. 26 1150 1955
- Cotter, R.J. “Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry: An Increasing Role in the Life Sciences,” Biomed. Environ. Mass Spectrom. 18 513 532 1989
- Cotter, R.J. “Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry for the Structural Analysis of Biological Molecules,” Anal. Chem 64 1027A 1039A 1993
- Bryden, W. A Benson, R. C. Ecelberger, S. A Phillips, T.E. Cotter, R.J. Fenselau, C. “The Tiny-TOF Mass Spectrometer for Chemical and Biological Sensing,” Johns Hopkins APL Tech. Dig. 16 3 197 211 1995
- Karas, M. Bachmann, D. Bahr, U. Hillenkamp, F. “Matrix-Assisted Ultraviolet Laser Desorption of Non-Volatile Compounds,” Int. J. Mass Spectrom.Ion Process 78 53 1987
- Tanaka, K. Waki, H. Ido, Y. Akita, S. Yoshida, Y. Yoshida, T. Rapid Commun. Mass Spectrom. 2 151 1988
- Preston, L.M. Murray, K.K. Russell, Reproducibility and Quantitation of Matrix-assisted Laser Desorption Ionization Mass Spectrometry: Effects of Nitrocellulose on Peptide Ion Yields Biological Mass Spectrometry 22 544 550 1993
- Tang, Allman Jones, R.B. Chen C.H. Quantitative Analysis of Biopolymers by Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Anal. Chem. 65 2164 2166 1993