This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A CAD-Based Tool for FDM and FEM Radiation and Conduction Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 13, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Thermal engineering has long been left out of the concurrent engineering environment dominated by CAD (computer aided design) and FEM (finite element method) software. Current tools attempt to force the thermal design process into an environment primarily created to support structural analysis, which results in inappropriate thermal models. As a result, many thermal engineers either build models “by hand” or use geometric user interfaces that are separate from and have little useful connection, if any, to CAD and FEM systems.
This paper describes the development of a new thermal design environment called the Thermal Desktop. This system, while fully integrated into a neutral, low cost CAD system, and which utilitizes both FEM and FD methods, does not compromise the needs of the thermal engineer. Rather, the features needed for concurrent thermal analysis are specifically addressed by combining traditional parametric surface based radiation and FD based conduction modeling with CAD and FEM methods. The use of flexible and familiar temperature solvers such as SINDA/FLUINT is retained.
CitationPanczak, T., Ring, S., and Welch, M., "A CAD-Based Tool for FDM and FEM Radiation and Conduction Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 981577, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981577.
- Lockheed Engineering and Management Services Company “Thermal Radiation Analysis System Users Manual,” October 1991
- Cullimore, B. “Optimization, Data Correlation, and Parametric Analysis Features in SINDA/FLUINT Version 4.0” SAE paper 981547 28 th ICES Conference July 1998
- Panczak, T. et al. “Thermal Synthesizer System: An Integrated Approach to Spacecraft Thermal Analysis,” SAE paper 911582 22 nd ICES Conference July 1992
- Panczak, T. “The Failure of Finite Element Codes for Spacecraft Thermal Analysis,” SAE paper 961450 26 th ICES Conference July 1996
- Chin, J. H. Panczak, T. D. Fried, L. “Finite Element and Raytracing in Coupled Thermal Problems,” Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Numerical Methods in Thermal Problems 683 791 Pineridge Press Swansea, U.K. 1989
- Panczak, T. Ring, S. “RadCAD: Next Generation Thermal Radiation Analyzer” SAE paper 972241 27 th ICES Conference July 1997