This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Steered Axles on the Stability and Followability of Articulated Vehicle System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 08, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an analytical study of the directional response of an articulated tractor/semi-trailer vehicle with steered rear tractor and trailer wheels. The steering input to the rear tractor wheels was a function of the steering input to the front wheels while the steering input to the semi-trailer wheels was either a function of the steering input to the tractor front wheels or a function of the relative articulation angle between the tractor and the semi-trailer. Computer simulation results show that the multi-wheel steering system could be useful in improving both the stability and followability of the articulated tractor/semi-trailer combinations.
CitationLukowski, S., Logan, D., and Medeksza, L., "The Influence of Steered Axles on the Stability and Followability of Articulated Vehicle System," SAE Technical Paper 981483, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981483.
- Aurell, J. Edlund S. 1989 The Influence of Steered Axles on the Dynamic Ability of Heavy Vehicles SAE Publications SP-801
- Bernard, J. Vanderploeg J. M. 1980 Static and Dynamic Offtracking of Articulated Vehicles SAE Paper 800151
- El-Gindy, M. 1989 Directional Response of a Tractor Towing a Semitrailer Int. Journal of Vehicle Design 10(2)
- Fancher, P. S. 1989 Directional Dynamics Considerations for Multi-Articulated Multi-Axled Heavy Vehicle SAE Paper 892499
- Furleigh, D. D. Vanderploeg J. M. Oh C. F. 1988 Multiple Steered Axles for Reducing the Rollover Risks of Heavy Articulated Trucks SAE Paper 881866
- Lukowski, S. Claar P. W. Fiedler R. 1990 Steering Behavior Analysis of Articulated Vehicles with Multi-Wheel Steering Systems SAE Paper 901660
- Uffelmann, F. 1978 Simulation of Steering and Braking Behavior of Tractor-Semitrailer Vehicles in Extreme Situations Vehicle System Dynamics 7