This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fitting Automotive Microprocessor Control Look-Up Tables to a Response Surface Model Using Optimisation Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 04, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Modern automotive microprocessor control systems provide a characterisation of the spark timing to control knock. This representation is normally provided in the form of look-up tables and in this study is referred to as Borderline Spark. Five and six factor augmented Box-Behnken response surface experiments have been designed to characterise Borderline spark as a function of the relevant control system input variables. Least squares regression techniques were used to generate a Borderline Spark response surface model. Confirmation experiments on two different engines showed that the response surface model provided an accurate prediction over most of the operating range. Symbolic integrals together with Sequential Quadratic Programming have been used to achieve the optimal fit of the model to the look-up tables using MATLAB. Furthermore this software has been used to define look-up table sizes based on a user-specified inter,polation error between the look-up table and response model surfaces.
CitationLygoe, R., "Fitting Automotive Microprocessor Control Look-Up Tables to a Response Surface Model Using Optimisation Methods," SAE Technical Paper 981459, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981459.
- Deming, W.E.T Out of the Crisis Cambridge University Press Cambridge 1986
- Ulrey, J. Ford Mapping database
- Montgomery, D. Peck, E. A. Introduction to Linear Regression Analysis Wiley & Sons 1992
- Hilton, D. H. CMT Regression Add-In for Excel Ford MO. Co. Ltd. 1996
- Box, G. E. P Draper, N. R. Empirical Model-Building and Response Surfaces John Wiley & Sons 1992
- Khuri, A. I. Cornell, J. A. Response Surfaces: Design and Analyses Marcel Dekker 1987
- Montgomery, D. C. Design and Analysis of Experiments John Wiley and Sons 1991
- Box, G.E.P. Behnken, D. W. Some new three level designs for the study of quantitative variables Technometrics, 2 455 475 1961
- Lygoe, R.J. The Application of Response Surface and Optimisation Methods to Borderline Spark Calibration MSc Advanced Automotive Engineering Project Loughborough 1997
- Press, W.H. Teukolsky, S. A. Vetterling, W. T. Flannery, B. P. Numerical Recipes in C Cambridge University Press 1992
- Moler, C. Costa, P. J. MATLAB Symbolic Math Toolbox l.Oa The MathWorks Inc. 1994
- Grace A. W. The MATLAB Optimization Toolbox User's Guide The Mathworks Inc. 1994
- Schittkowski, K. W. FORTRAN-subroutine Solving Constrained Nonlinear Programming Problems Operations Research 5 485 500 1985