This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Application of Design of Experiment and Multi Variable Optimisation to Cold Starting in an Automotive SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 04, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the process used to characterise an exhaust after treatment designs while using spark retard and lean fuel operation during a cold start on a Euro 96 drive cycle using a dynamic dynamometer to simulate a vehicle. It is well understood that spark retard and lean fuel operation achieve faster catalyst light off times but usually at the cost of driveability. This study defines the operating envelope for both reduced emissions and vehicle driveability.
A design of experiment methodology was employed to characterise the system and produce models that were used to perform a trade off between driveability and reduced emissions for a given hardware configuration. Statistical techniques were utilised to select the best vehicle calibration
|Technical Paper||Research on the Co-free Intelligent Catalyst|
|Technical Paper||A New Approach to OBDII Monitoring of Catalyst Performance Using Dual Oxygen Sensors|
CitationAndrews, S., Cary, M., and Hilton, D., "The Application of Design of Experiment and Multi Variable Optimisation to Cold Starting in an Automotive SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 981413, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981413.
- Reducing Cold-Start Emissions by Catalytic Converter Thermal Management Burch Steven D. Potter Thomas F. Keyser Matthew A. National Renewable Energy Laboratory Brady Michael J. Michaels Kenton F. Chrysler Corporation
- Predicted cold start emission reductions resulting from exhaust thermal energy conservation to quicken catalytic converter light off Moore, Wayne R.
- Internal Combustion Engine fundamentals Heywood John B. McGraw-Hill Book Company
- Response Surface Methodology Myers Raymond H. Montomery Douglas C. John Wiley and Sons inc.
- Design and Analysis of experiments Montgomery Douglas C. John Wiley and Sons inc.
- Experimental designs Cochran W.G. Cox G.M. John Wiley and Sons inc.
- Fast light - off of underbody catalysts using exhaust gas ignition (EGI) Eade, D. SAE-SP-1120
- Optimization of the electrically heated catalyst for emission purification efficiency Jeong, Limho SAE-SP-1173