This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parameters for Aircraft EHD Heat Exchanger Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 21, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Electrohydrodynamic (EHD) forces acting on a fluid can be used to significantly increase the heat transfer coefficient with little power consumption or flow restriction. Experiments have shown promising results with simple configurations, but practical heat exchanger development is needed. Analytical development will establish design equations and aid in experimental data correlation. Small scale test units will provide experience in determining heat exchanger configurations and electrode options. Controller and high voltage power supply units will also need to be developed. Full-scale EHD heat exchanger systems can then be developed to demonstrate technology availability for military and commercial products.
CitationHaskin, W. and Paschkewitz, J., "Parameters for Aircraft EHD Heat Exchanger Development," SAE Technical Paper 981292, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981292.
- Ohadi M. M. Sharaf N. Nelson D. A. “Eelectrohydrodynamic Enhancement of Heat Transfer in a Shell-and-Tube Heat Exchanger,” Experimental Heat Transfer 4 1 19 39 1991
- Franke M. E. Hogue L. E. “Electrostatic Cooling of a Horizontal Cylinder,” ASME J. of Heat Transfer 113 544 548 Aug. 1991
- Cheung K. H. Ohadi M. M. Dessiatoun S. “Compound Enhancement of Boiling Heat Transfer of R-134a in a Tube Bundle,” ASHRAE Transactions 101 1995
- Chang J. Watson A. “Electromagnetic Hydrodynamics” IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation 1 5 Oct. 1994
- Saville D. A. “Electrohydrodynamics: The Taylor-Melcher Leaky Dielectric Model,” Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 29 27 64 1997
- Jones T. B. “Electrohydrodynamically Enhanced Heat Transfer in Liquids- A Review,” Advances in Heat Transfer 14 107 148 1978
- Theodossiou G. Nelson J. K. Odell G. M. “A Computer Simulation of Transient Electrohydrodynamic Motion in Stressed Dielectric Liquids,” Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 19 1643 1656 1986
- Chang J. S. Tran F. “Numerical Simulation of the Dielectric Gas Electrohydrodynamics in Annulus,” Electrostatics '87, IOP Press. Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. No. 85 349 354 1987
- Neve R. S. Yan Y. Y. “Enhancement of Heat Exchanger Performance Using Combined Electrohydrodynamic and Passive Methods,” International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow 17 403 409 1996
- Yamashita K. Yabe A. “Electrohydrodynamic Enhancement of Falling Film Evaporation Heat Transfer and its Long-Term Effect on Heat Exchangers,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer 119 339 347 1997
- Ohadi M. M. “Heat Transfer Enhancement in Heat Exchangers.” ASHRAE Journal Dec. 1991 42 50