This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Energy Absorption in Stitched Composite Sandwich Panels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 06, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The energy absorption characteristics of a stitched sandwich panel were investigated using experimental and analytical techniques. The structural stability aspects of the proposed mechanism were evaluated using the existing buckling and wrinkling theories. The effect of through-the-thickness stitches on the stability characteristics was investigated using finite element analysis. The configuration of the energy absorption mechanism was based on the stability analysis. The actual energy absorption process was characterized by conducting static crush tests. The experimental results indicated an increase in energy absorption capability with smaller stitch spacing and also resulted in smoother load deflection curves. A broad design guideline was developed for the design of a sandwich panel for energy absorption, based on stability analysis and experimental results.
|Technical Paper||Determination of Assembly Stresses in Aluminum Knuckles|
CitationRaju, K. and Tomblin, J., "Energy Absorption in Stitched Composite Sandwich Panels," SAE Technical Paper 981202, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/981202.
- Farley, G.L. 1987 “Crash Energy Absorbing Sub-floor beam structures,” Journal of the American Helicopter Society 32 4 28 32
- Farley, G.L. 1989 “Energy Absorption capability and scalability of square cross-section composite tube specimens,” Journal of the American Helicopter Society 59 62
- Carden Huey D. Hayduk Robert J. “Airplane Subfloor Response to Crash Loadings” SAE Technical paper 810614
- Raju, K.S. 1996 “Energy absorption Characteristics of Stitched Composite Sandwich Panels,” Wichita State University Wichita, KS
- Plantema, F.J. Sandwich Construction John Wiley & Sons, Inc. NY
- Goodier J.N. Neou I.M. October 1951 “The Evaluation of Theoretical Critical Compression in Sandwich Plates,” Journal of the Aeronautical Sciences 649 656
- Hoff, N.J. Mautner, S.F. 1948 “Bending and Buckling of Sandwich Beams,” Journal of Aeronautical Sciences 15 12
- Yussuf Syed “Theory of Wrinkling in Sandwich Construction” Journal of The Royal Aeronautical Society 59 529 Jan 1955 30 36
- Kassapoglou, C. Fantle, S.C. 1995 Chou, J.C. “Wrinkling of Composite Sandwich Structures under Compression,” Journal of Composites Technology and Research JCTRER 17 4 Oct 1995 308 316