This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Frontal Air Bag Deployment in Side Crashes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
NHTSA conducted seventy-six side impact FMVSS No. 214 compliance tests from 1994 through 1997. The compliance tests are nearly right angle side impacts with low longitudinal components of change of velocity (Δv). Frontal air bag deployments were found to have occurred for 34% of the driver bags and 32% of the front passenger bags in these compliance-tested passenger cars.
In 1997, NHTSA began testing passenger cars 'in side impact in the New Car Assessment Program (NCAP). The NCAP crash tests are conducted at a higher speed than the compliance tests. The cars in the NCAP side impact tests also had low longitudinal components of Δv. Approximately 40% of the twenty-six passenger cars tested in the 1997 Side Impact NCAP had their frontal air bags deploy.
Real world crash data were examined to determine if frontal air bags are deploying in right angle side impacts on the roads of the US. A study of the 1988 - 1996 National Automotive Sampling System (NASS) data, where all cars involved in the crash had a driver air bag and the component of this crash was at three o'clock, reveals that 16% of frontal air bags deployed. The same study reveals 22% of the frontal air bags deployed during left side impacts in the nine o'clock direction in towaway crashes.
- Hansun Chan - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- James R. Hackney - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Richard M. Morgan - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Susan Partyka - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Randa Samaha - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Jeffrey Giuseppe - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Heather E. Smith - Conrad Technologies, Inc.
- Johanna C. Lowrie - Conrad Technologies, Inc.
CitationChan, H., Hackney, J., Morgan, R., Partyka, S. et al., "Frontal Air Bag Deployment in Side Crashes," SAE Technical Paper 980910, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980910.
- Vogt R Electronic System Design for Future Passenger Restraint Systems SAE Paper 960500 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan 1996
- Breed DS Sanders WT Castelli V A Complete Frontal Crash Sensor System - II The Fourteenth International Technical Conference on Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Munich, Germany 1377 1387 1994
- Kress TA Porta DJ Duma SM Snider JN Nino NM A Discussion of the Air Bag System and Review of Induced Injuries SAE Paper 960658 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan 1996
- Kuppa SM Olson MB Yeiser CW Taylor LM Morgan RM Eppinger RH RAID - An Investigative Tool to Study Air Bag/Upper Extremity Interactions SAEPaper 970399 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan 1997
- Werner JV Roberson SF Ferguson SA Digges KH Injury Risks in Cars with Different Air Bag Deployment Rates SAE Paper 970491 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan 1997
- Pike JA Automotive Safety Anatomy, Injury, Testing, & Regulation Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 1990