This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Prediction of Airbag Caused Injuries on Eyeballs After Radial Keratotomy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper reports the results of a project investigating means to predict injury risk created by impacting airbags on eyeballs healed after radial keratotomy surgery. In the first phase of the project, a finite element model of an intact eyeball was prepared. Due of the lack of experimental data to calibrate biomechanical models, the model was validated for impact loading using a series of clinical observations related to perforations of the eyeball by small debris from industrial machines. Typical impacts were simulated over the range of observations and the critical dimensions of impacting debris perforating the cornea and the sclera, as observed clinically, were properly predicted numerically. In the second phase, the model of the intact eyeball was altered to introduce radial keratotomy scars. The simulation of impacting airbag were used to determine the loading on the eye and assess the injury risks based on the strains in the eye tissues.
|Technical Paper||Investigation of Ocular Injuries from High Velocity Objects in an Automobile Collision|
|Technical Paper||Virtual Interior Development – Reduction of Development Time and Costs for Fulfilling the FMVSS 201u|
CitationKisielewicz, L., Kodama, N., Ohno, S., and Uchio, E., "Numerical Prediction of Airbag Caused Injuries on Eyeballs After Radial Keratotomy," SAE Technical Paper 980906, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980906.
- Buzard K.A. “Introduction to Biomechanics of the Cornea” Journal of Refractive and Corneal Surgery 8 March April 1992
- Casebeer J.C. Shapiro D.R. Phillips S. “Severe Ocular Trauma without Corneal Rupture after Radial Keratotomy: Case Reports” Journal of Refractive & Corneal Surgery 10 January February 1994
- Goldberg M.A. Valluni S. Pepose J.S. “Airbag Related Corneal Rupture after Radial Keratotomy” American Journal of Ophthalmology 120 6 December 1995
- Hanna K.D. Jouve F.E. Waning G.O. Ciarlet P.G. “Computer Simulation of Arcuate and Radial Incisions Involving the Corneoscleral Limbus” Eye 3 227 239 1989
- Haug E. “Biomechanical Models in Vehicle Accident Simulation” PAM Users Conference in Asia PUCA'95 Shin-Yokohama, Japan November 1995
- Haut R.C. “Biomechanics of Soft Tissues” Accidental Injury Biomechanics and Prevention Nahum A.M. Melvin J.W. Springer-Verlag 1993
- Kisielewicz L.T. Ando K. “Critical Issues in Biomechanical Tests and Simulations of Impact Injuries” PAM Users Conference in Asia PUCA'94 Shin-Yokoharna, Japan November 1994
- Kisielewicz L.T. Kodama N. Chhor A. Ohno T. Uchio E. “Preliminary Investigation of Grinders Debris Impacting a Human Eye using Numerical Simulation” PAM Users Conference in Asia PUCA'95 Shin-Yokohama, Japan November 1995
- Kisielewicz L.T. Nlizeki H. Endo M. Ohno T. Uchio E. Kuramoto Y. “Simulation of Debris and Airbag Impacts on a Human Eye Healed after Radial Keratotomy” PAM Users Conference in Asia PUCA'96 Shin-Yokohama, Japan November 1996
- Ruan J.S. Khalil T. King A.I. “Finite Element Analysis of the Human Head to Impact” 22 Advances in Bioengineering ASME 1992
- Simon G. Ren Q. “Biomechanical Behavior of the Cornea and its Response to Radial Keratotomy” Journal of Refractive & Corneal Surgery 10 May June 1994
- Uchio E. Ohno T. Kudo S. Aoki K. Kuramoto Y. Kodama N. Kisielewicz L.T. Chhor A. “Eye Injury Simulation using Finite Element Model on Supercomputers (in Japanese)” 100th Anniversary Congress of the Ophthalmology Society of Japan Kyoto, Japan May 1996
- Vinger P.F. Mieler W.F. Oestreicher J.H. Easterbrook M. “Ruptured Globes Following Radial and Hexagonal Keratotomy Surgery” Arch. Ophthalmol 114 February 1996