This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Volume Acoustic Modes of Spark-Ignited Internal Combustion Chambers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Acoustic standing waves are excited in internal combustion chambers by both normal combustion and autoignition. The energy in these acoustic modes can be transmitted through the engine block and radiated as high-frequency engine noise. Using finite-element models of two different (four-valve and two-valve) production engine combustion chambers, the mode shapes and relative frequencies of the in-cylinder volume acoustic modes are calculated as a function of crank angle. The model is validated by comparison to spectrograms of experimental time-sampled waveforms (from flush-mounted cylinder pressure sensors and accelerometers) from these two typical production spark-ignited engines.
|Journal Article||Engine Diagnostics Using Acoustic Emissions Sensors|
|Technical Paper||Engine Roughness - the Key to Lower Octane Requirement|
|Technical Paper||Improvement of Comfort Aspects for High Efficiency Diesel Engines|
CitationScholl, D., Davis, C., Russ, S., and Barash, T., "The Volume Acoustic Modes of Spark-Ignited Internal Combustion Chambers," SAE Technical Paper 980893, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980893.
- Hickling, R. Feldmaier, D.A. Chen, F.H.K. Morel, J.S. “Cavity Resonances in Engine Combustion Chambers and Some Applications” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 73 4 1170 1178 1983
- ABAQUS/Standard User's Manual Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc. Pawtucket, RI 1995
- Cohen, L. “Time-Frequency Analysis” Prentice Hall 0-13-594532-1 Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 1995
- Oppenheim, A. Schafer, R. “Discrete-Time Signal Processing” Prentice Hall 0-13-216292-X Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 1989
- Scholl, D. Barash, T. Russ, S. Stockhausen, W. “Spectrogram Analysis of Accelerometer-Based Spark Knock Detection Waveforms” SAE Paper 972020 1997
- Schmillen, K.P. Rechs, M. “Different Methods of Knock Detection and Knock Control” SAE Paper 910858 1991
- Kaneyasu, M. Kurihara, N. Katogi, K. Tokuda, H. “Engine Knock Detection Using Multi-Spectrum Method” SAE Paper 920702 1992