This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emissions Comparisons of an Insulated Turbocharged Multi-Cylinder Miller Cycle Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The experimental emissions testing of a turbocharged six cylinder Caterpillar 3116 diesel engine converted to the Miller cycle operation was conducted. Delayed intake valve closing times were also investigated. Effects of intake valve closing time, injection time, and insulation of piston, head, and liner on the emission characteristics of the Miller cycle engine were experimentally verified. Superior performance and emission characteristic was achieved with a LHR insulated engine. Therefore, all emission and performance comparisons are made with LHR insulated standard engine with LHR insulated Miller cycle engine. Particularly, NOx, CO2, HC, smoke and BSFC data are obtained for comparison. Effect of increasing the intake boost pressure on emission was also studied. Poor emission characteristics of the Miller cycle engine are shown to improve with increased boost pressure. Performance of the insulated Miller cycle engine shows improvement in BSFC when compared to the base engine. Comparisons are made at 1600 - 2600 RPM and 25 - 93& load range.
CitationKamo, R., Mavinahally, N., Kamo, L., Bryzik, W. et al., "Emissions Comparisons of an Insulated Turbocharged Multi-Cylinder Miller Cycle Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 980888, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980888.
- Kanesaka, H. Sakai, H “The K-Miller Cycle for High Output Engine,” Kanesaka Technical Institute Tokyo, Japan 1993
- Mavinahally, N. “Experimental Investigation of Extended Expansion Concept Applied to Four Stroke S.I. Engine Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India 1991
- Ishizuki, Y. Shimizu, Y. Hikino, H. Kawashima, Y. “A New Type of Miller Supercharging Systems for High Speed Engine, Part 2 , Realization of High BMEP Diesel Engines” Engine Research Division and Technical Center, Komatsu Ltd. SAE Paper 851523 1985
- Mavinahally, N. Kamo, R. Bryzik, W. Reid, M. “Insulated Miller Cycle Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 961050 Detroit, Mi. 1996
- Miller, R. H. “Supercharging and Internal Cooling Cycle for High Output,” ASME 69 1947
- Laurence R.B. Wong Victor W. Brown Alan J. “Effects of Lubrication System Parameters on Diesel Particulate- Emission Characteristics,” San Diego Workshop July 1997
- Kamo R. Mavinahally N. kamo L. Bryzik W. Reid M. “Experimental Heat Releae Analysis of an Insulated Turbo-charged Engine' 6 th International Symposium on Ceramic Materials and Components for Engines Arita, Japan Oct. 20 1997