This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fast Response NO/HC Measurements in the Cylinder and Exhaust Port of a DI Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A novel Fast Response Chemiluminescence Detector and a Fast Flame Ionization detector have been used to examine the instantaneous NO and unburnt hydrocarbon concentration in the cylinder and exhaust port of a DI Diesel engine. The in-cylinder results indicate very high levels of NO in the premixed phase of combustion, followed by generally lower levels during the diffusion burning phase. Hydrocarbon signals also indicate significant detail. The in-cylinder uHC signal is consistent with the probe location being between two of the fuel sprays. Both in-cylinder and exhaust results indicate rather high cyclic variability in the NO levels at steady conditions. Variations in the timing and structure of the exhaust uHC signal during the valve open period with load may give insight into the fuel spray/air motion.
CitationSchurov, S., Collings, N., Hands, T., Peckham, M. et al., "Fast Response NO/HC Measurements in the Cylinder and Exhaust Port of a DI Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 980788, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980788.
- Smedler G. Eriksson S. Lindblad L. Bernier H. Lundgren S. Jobson E. “Deterioration of Three-Way Automotive Catalysts: Parts 1 and 11” SAE Technical Papers, 930937 , 930944 1993
- Eade D. Hurley R.G. Rutter B. Inman G. Bakshi R. “Fast Light-Off of Underbody Catalysts Using Exhaust Gas Ignition” SAE Technical Paper, 952417 1995
- Finlay I.C. Boam J.F. Bingham J.F. Clark T.A. “Fast Response FID Measurement of Unburned Hydrocarbons in the Exhaust Port of a Firing Gasoline Engine” SAE Technical Paper, 902165 1990
- Henein N.A. Tagomorl M.K. Yassine M.K. Asmus T.W. Thomas C.P. Hartman P.G. “Cycle-by-Cycle Analysis of HC Emissions During Cold Start of Gasoline Engines” SAE Technical Paper, 952402 1995
- Sleightholme G.R. “In-Cylinder Measurements of Charge Inhomogeneity in a Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Technical Paper, 900484 1990
- Thompson N.D. Wallace J.S. “Effect of Engine Operating Variables and Piston and Ring Parameters on Crevice Hydrocarbon Emissions.” SAE Technical Paper, 940480 1994
- Cheng C.O. Cheng W.K. Heywood J.B. Maroteaux D. Collings N. “Intake Port Phenomena in a Spark-Ignition Engine at Part Load” SAE Technical Paper, 912401 1991
- Schurov S.M. Collings N. “An Experimental Investigation of Fuel Transport in a Port Injected Engine” SAE Technical Paper, 952485 1995
- Arcournanis C. Megaritis A. “Real-Time Measurement of Particulate Emissions in a Turbocharged DI Diesel Engine” SAE Technical Paper, 922390 1992
- Yassine M.K. Tagomori M.K. Henein N.A. Bryzik W. “White Smoke Emissions under Cold Starting of Diesel Engines” SAE Technical Paper, 960249 1996
- “fNOx4OO High Frequency Response NO Detector User Manual” Cambustion Ltd. 1997
- Collings N. Schurov S. Hands T. Peckham M. Burrell J. “Real Time In-cylinder and Exhaust NO Measurements in a Production SI Engine.” SAE Technical Paper 1998
- Baltisberger S. Ruhm K. “Fast NO Measuring Device for Internal Combustion Engines” SAE Technical Paper, 940962 1994
- Schurov S.M. Summers T. Collings N. “Time Resolved Measurement of Cold Start HC Concentration Using the Fast FID” SAE Technical Paper, 961926 1996