This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Static and Fatigue Strength Evaluation of Clinched Joints in an Aluminum Alloy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the static and fatigue strength evaluation of clinched joints in 6111-T4 aluminum alloy sheets. Clinched joints are mechanical joints produced a cold forming technique using a small die-punch combination. A design of experiments approach is used to determine the optimum die-punch combination that produces the least variation in the static pull-out load in single lap shear tests. Fatigue S-N curves are determined for several different clinched joints in load-controlled fatigue tests with the load ratio equal to 0.1. The effect of heat exposure, typically experienced in paint ovens, on the static strength as well as fatigue S-N behavior are also examined.
|Technical Paper||Fatigue Behaviour of Friction Stir Joined Aluminium Alloy NG5754 and AA6111 Sheets|
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of the Mechanical Performance of Self-Piercing Rivets in Friction Stir Welded Structures|
CitationSaathoff, D. and Mallick, P., "Static and Fatigue Strength Evaluation of Clinched Joints in an Aluminum Alloy," SAE Technical Paper 980693, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980693.
- Davidson, J.A. “A Review of the Fatigue Properties of Spot-Welded Sheet Steels,” SAE Technical Paper No. 830033 Feb. 1983 Detroit, MI
- Mizui, M. Sekine, T. Tsujimura, A. Takishima, T. Shimazaki, Y. “An Evaluation of Fatigue Strength for Various Kinds of Spot-Welded Test Specimens,” SAE Technical Paper No. 880375 Feb. 1988 Detroit, MI
- Orts, D.H. “Fatigue Strength of Spot Welded Joints in a HSLA Steel,” SAE Technical Paper No. 810355 Feb. 1981 Detroit, MI
- Krause, A.R. Chernenkoff, R.A. “A Comparative Study of the Fatigue Behavior of Spot Welded and Mechanically Fastened Aluminum Joints,” SAE Technical Paper No. 950710 Feb. 1995 Detroit, MI
- Chernenkoff, R.A Krause, A.R. “Fatigue Evaluation of Aluminum Joints,” Proc. International Symposium of Recent Developments in Light Metals Aug. 1994 Toronto, Ontario 293 303