This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effects of Mixture Formation on Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Previous research in our laboratory has shown that NOx emissions can be sharply reduced by PREDIC (PRE-mixed lean DIesel Combustion), in which fuel is injected very early in the compression process. However some problems still remain, such as higher fuel consumption, a lack of ignition timing control, and a large increase in THC and CO, compared to conventional diesel combustion. Appropriate mixture formation is necessary to solve these problems.
In this paper, the influence of mixture formation on PREDIC was investigated. It was found that the pintle type injection nozzle was shown to be suitable for PREDIC, because it produced a comparatively uniform mixture in the combustion chamber and avoided collision of the fuel spray with the cylinder liner. Modeling by the KIVA-II software package was carried out to improve our understanding of the mixture formation process.
In order to realize combustion of a perfectly homogeneous mixture, the test engine was operated with gaseous fuels added to the intake air. The results show that low NOx combustion was also typical of operation near the rich limit, even when the mixture was provided as a uniformly aspirated gaseous fuel.
The effect of the addition of an oxygenated component to the diesel fuel was investigated to improve fuel consumption. Using an oxygenated fuel may offer the possibility of ignition timing control. Using ethanol, the ignition timing was delayed and fuel consumption was improved.
CitationHarada, A., Shimazaki, N., Sasaki, S., Miyamoto, T. et al., "The Effects of Mixture Formation on Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion Engine," SAE Technical Paper 980533, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980533.
- Takeda, Y. Nakagome K. Niimura K. “Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion with Extremely Early Staged Fuel Injection,” SAE Paper 961163 1996
- Aoyama, T. Hattori Y. Mizuta J. Sato Y. “An Experimental Study of Premixed-Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine,” JSAE Transactions 27 2 April 1996 10 14
- Sato, Y. Yanagihara H. Mizuta J. “Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Soot in Diesel Engines Under a New Combustion System,” JSAE Lecture Proceedings 963 1996 81 84
- Suzuki, H. Koike N. Ishii H. Odaka M. “Study of Homogeneous Charge Combustion Diesel Engine(1st Report),” JSAE Lecture Proceedings 961 1996 89 92
- Ryan T.W. III “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition of Diesel Fuel,” SAE Paper 961160 1996
- Furutani, M. Kawashima K. Ohta Y. “A New Concept of Ultralean Premixed Compression-Ignition Engine” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 62-595 1996 408 414
- Yanagihara, H. Sato Y. Mizuta J. “A Study of DI Diesel Combustion under Uniform-Highly Dispersed Mixture Formation,” The 13th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium Lecture Paper 365 369 1996
- Igarashi, T. Iida N. “Study of Auto-Ignition and Combustion in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine,” The 14th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium Lecture Paper 277 282 1997
- Igarashi, T. Iida N. “Fundamental Study of Combustion in Homogeneous-Charge Compression-Ignition Engines,” The 14th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium Lecture Paper 265 270 1997
- Miyamoto, T. Akagawa H. Tsujimura T. “Fuel/Air Mixture Formation Processes and Low NOx Emission Combustion in a Premixed Compression Ignition Engine,” The 14th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium Lecture Paper 289 294 1997
- Shimazaki, N. Miyamoto T. Akagawa H. Tsujimura T. “Effect of Mixture Formation Process on Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion,” JSAE Lecture Proceedings 975 1997 85 88
- Amsden, A. A. O'Rourke, P. J. Butler, T. D. “KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays,” Los Alamos National Laboratory Report 1989
- Naber, J. D. Reitz, R. D. “Modeling Engine Spray/Wall Impingement,” SAE Paper 880107 1987
- Magnussen, B. F. Hjertager, B. H. “On Mathematical Modeling of Turbulent Combustion with Special Emphasis on Soot Formation and Combustion,” The 16th Symposium (Int.) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 1976
- Takeda, Y. Niimura K. “Characteristics of Diesel Combustion and Emissions with a Multi-Injector System,” SAE Paper 962511 1996
- Sasaki, S. Harada A. Miyamoto T. Akagawa H. Tsujimura T., “Analysis of Fuel Spray Characteristics for Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion,” JSAE Lecture Proceedings 976 1997 81 84
- Kobayashi, S. Shundo S. Nakahira T. Komori N. Tsujimura, K., “Visualization of Diesel Combustion with High-Pressure Fuel Injection by Laser Shadowgraph Technique,” Journal of Visualization Society of Japan 11 2 131 134 1991
- Fukuda, M. “Reduction of Exhaust Pollutants from a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 63-607 1997 340 344
- Gardiner, W. C. Jr. “Combustion Chemistry,” Springer-Verlag 492 1984
- JANAF Thermochemical Tables 2nd U.S.National Bureau of Standards June 1971
- Harada, A. Sasaki S. Miyamoto T. Akagawa H. Tsujimura T. “Emission Characteristic of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion” JSAE Lecture Proceedings 975 1997 97 100
- Miyamoto, T. Harada A. Sasaki S. Naoki S. Hashizume T. Akagawa H., Tsujimura T., “Numerical Simulation of Fuel Spray and Combustion in a Premixed Lean Diesel Engine,” JSAE Lecture Proceedings 976 1997 85 88
- Nakagome, K. Shimazaki N. Niimura K. Kobayashi S. “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion Engine,” SAE Paper 970898 1997
- Simazaki, N. Nakagome K. Niimura K. “Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Premixed Diesel Combustion,” JSAE Lecture Proceedings 966 1996 233 236