This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diesel Fumigation Partial Premixing for Reduced Particulate Soot Fraction Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel fuel was injected into the inlet air port of a Perkins 4-236 NADI diesel engine using a Stanadyne 5 micron fuel injector directed onto the back of the inlet valve so as to give the best port fuel injection vaporisation. The fuel was timed to be injected when the inlet valve was open and the exhaust valve closed. Up to 20% of the maximum power fuel flow was injected into the inlet port and the effect is to reduce the diffusion burning phase of diesel combustion at maximum power and hence to reduce soot emissions. The results show that an older relatively high emitting diesel engine can be retrofitted with this technology to produce large soot emission reductions with soot reduced to the level of modern low emission engines. Fumigation also decreases the ignition delay, which at constant fuel injection timing reduces the NOx emissions. The disadvantage of the technique is the increase in specific fuel consumption, hydrocarbon and CO emissions with an associated increase in the VOF proportion of the particulates.
CitationOsses, M., Andrews, G., and Greenhough, J., "Diesel Fumigation Partial Premixing for Reduced Particulate Soot Fraction Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 980532, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980532.
- Alperstein, M. Swim, W.B. Schweitzer, P.H. ‘Fumigation kills diesel smoke and improves performance’ SAE Trans. 66 1958
- Broukhiyan, E.M.H. Lestz, S.S. ‘Ethanol fumigation of a light duty automotive diesel engine’ SAE Paper 811209 1981
- Heisey, J.B. Lestz, S.S. ‘Aqueous alcohol fumigation of a single cylinder DI diesel engine’ SAE Paper 811208 1981
- Tsai, K-Y Lin C-S. Huang, T-W Chen, C-B Chou, T-L Lin K-H An Alternative Fuel for Diesel Engine-Mixture of LPG and Diesel Fuel Fifth Mineral and Energy Forum Pacific Economic Cooperation Council Sydney 1992
- Ohkoshi, M. Kokubo, K. Hosogai, D. Nishimura, J. Kobayasi, T. Diesel Smoke Reduction by Gasoline Fumigation using an Ultrasonic Atomiser SAE Paper 920691 , SAE SP-895, SAE Trans 101 1992
- Takeda, Y. Keiichi, Nakagome Keiichi, Niimura ‘Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion with Extremely Early Staged Fuel Injection’ SAE Paper 961163 1996
- Keiichi Nakagome Shimazaki, N. Keiichi Niimura Kobayashi, S. ‘Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion Engine’ SAE Paper 970898 1997
- Suzuki, H. Koike, N. Ishii, H. Odaka, M. ‘Exhaust Purification of Diesel Engines by Homogeous Charge with Compression Ignition Part 1: Experimental Investigation of Combustion and Exhaust Emission Behaviour Under Pre-mixed Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Method’ SAE Paper 970313 1997
- Ishii, H. Koike, N. Suzuki, H. Odaka, M. Exhaust Purification of Diesel Engines by Homogeneous Charge with Compression Ignition Part 2: Analysis of Combustion Phenomena and NOx Formation by Numerical Simulation with Experiment' SAE Paper 970315 1997
- Yokata, H. Kudo, Y. Nakajima, H. Kakegawa, T. Suzuki, T A New Concept for Low Emission Diesel Combustion SAE Paper 970891 1997
- Thring, R.H. Homogeneous-Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines SAE Paper 892068 1989
- Yanagihara, H. Sato, Y. A Simultaneous Reduction of NOx and Soot in Diesel Engines under a New Combustion System (Uniform Bulky Combustion System - UNIBUS) 17th Int. Vienna Motor Symposium 1996
- Andrews, G.E. Osses, M. Greenhough, J. ‘Diesel inlet air fumigation for reduced carbon and NOx emissions’ 5 th International EAEC Congress, SIA Paper 9506A14 1995
- Greenhough, J.H.
- Farrar-Khan, J. Andrews, G.E Williams, P.T. Bartle, K.D. The Influence fo Nozzle Sac Volume on the Composition of Diesel Particulate Fuel Derived SOF SAE Paper 921649 1992
- Abbass, M.K. Andrews, G.E. Williams, P.T. Bartle, K.D. Diesel Particulate Composition Changes Along an Air Cooled Exhaust Pipe and Dilution Tunnel SAE Paper 890789 1989
- Abbass, M.K. Shen, Y. Abdelhalim, S.M. Andrews, G.E. Williams, P.T. Comparison of Methods for the Determination of the SOF of Diesel Particulates and Development of a Rapid TGA Method for the Estimation of the Unburnt Fuel and Lubricating Oil Fractions IMechE Seminar on Experimental Methds in Engine R&D 1991 109 114 1991
- Kwon, S Arai, M. Hiroyasu, H. Effects of Fumigated Fuel on the Ignition and Initial Combustion Stages in a DI Diesel Engine SAE Paper 891880 SAE Trans. 98 1989
- Shimoda, M. Funai, K. Shimokawa, K. Otani, T. Joko, I. Application of Heavy Duty Diesel Engine to Future Emission Standards SAE Paper 910482 1991
- Brear, F. Fredholm, S.C.G. Andersson, E.S. The role of the Through Flow Catalyst in the Development of a Low Emissions Specification HD Diesel Engine SAE Paper 920367 , SAE SP-896, SAE Trans. 101
- Porter, B.C. Doyle, D.M. Faulkner, S.A. Lambert, P. Needham, J.R. Anderson, S.E. Fredholm, S. Frestad, A. Engine and Catalyst Strategies for 1994 SAE 910604 SAE 240 SAE Trans 100 1991
- Kriegler, W. Schweinzer, F. Cartellieri, W. Strategies to Meet Worldwide Heavy-Duty Diesel Emission Standards IMechE. Seminar C435 on Worldwide Engine Emission Standards and How to Meet Them 193 220 1991
- Detroit Diesel Corp. presentation at the US Army Research Office Workshop on Diesel Particulates, Boulder 1991
- Navistar Presentation at the IMechE. Seminar C435 on Worldwide Engine Emission Standards and How to Meet Them 1991