This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Composition Effects on SOF and PAH Exhaust Emissions from DI Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The experiments were performed with two types of test engines, '72 model year type and '94 model year type engine, using both of conventional diesel fuel and synthetic diesel fuel, which has simple hydrocarbon components and no aromatics or sulfur content. SOF is extracted from the particulate sample exhausted out from the engines, then GC and GC-MS analyses were carried out. By comparing the results obtained, the role of high boiling point components in diesel fuel on SOF emission were observed. Further, by adding an artificially sulfur-containing compound and pyrene, which is a four ring polynuclear-aromatic-hydrocarbon (PAH), into the synthetic fuel, the effect of PAH content in fuel on PAH emission in SOF and the increase of SOF with increased sulfur content in fuel, were observed.
|Journal Article||A Study on NOx Emission Characteristics When Using Biomass-derived Diesel Alternative Fuels|
|Technical Paper||Investigation of the Performance of a Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Engine Operating on Low Cetane Diesel Fuel|
CitationHori, S. and Narusawa, K., "Fuel Composition Effects on SOF and PAH Exhaust Emissions from DI Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 980507, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980507.
- Wall J.C. et.al. Fuel Composition Effects on Heavy-Duty Diesel Particulate Emissions” SAE Paper NO. 841364
- Ullman Terry L. et.al. “Effects of Fuel Aromatics, Cetane Number, and Cetane Improver on Emissions from a 1991 Prototype Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper NO. 902171
- Sienicki Edward J. et.al. “Diesel Fuel Aromatic and Cetane Number Effects on Combustion and Emissions From a Prototype 1991 Diesel Engine” SAE Paper NO. 902172
- McCarthy Christopher I. et.al. “Diesel Fuel Property Effects on Exhaust Emissions from a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine that Meets 1994 Emissions Requirements” SAE Paper NO. 922267
- Naber D. et.al. “The Influence of Fuel Properties on Exhaust Emissions from Advanced Mercedes Benz Diesel Engines” SAE Paper NO. 932685
- Den Ouden C.J.J. et.al. “Fuel Quality Effects on Particulate Matter Emissions from Light-and Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines” SAE Paper NO. 942022
- Schramm, J et.al. The Emission of PAH from a DI Diesel Engine Operating on Fuels and Lubricants with known PAH Content” SAE Paper NO. 940342
- Nakakita K. et.al. “Effect of Diesel Fuel Properties on Exhaust Emissions” The 14th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium
- Yamamoto M. et.al. “Effect of Diesel Fuel Properties on PM Emission from DI Diesel Engine” Preprint of JSAE
- Abbass M.K. et.al. Diesel Particulate Emissions: Pyrosynthesis of PAH from Hexadecane” SAE Paper NO. 880345
- Hayakawa K. et.al. “Determination of 1,3-,1,6-,and 1,8-Dinitropyrene and 1-Nitropyrene in Urban Air by High-Performance Liquid Chromatography Using Chemiluminescence Detection” Environmental Science and Technology 29 928 1995