This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Gasoline DI Engines: The Complete System Approach By Interaction of Advanced Development Tools
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gasoline direct injection is one of the main issues of actual worldwide SI engine development activities. It requires a comprehensive system approach from the basic considerations on optimum combustion system configuration up to vehicle performance and driveability.
The general characteristics of currently favored combustion system configurations are discussed in this paper regarding both engine operation and design aspects. The engine performance, especially power output and emission potential of AVL's DGI engine concept is presented including the interaction of advanced tools like optical diagnostics and 3D-CFD simulation in the combustion system development process. The application of methods like tomographic combustion analysis for investigations in the multicylinder engine within further stages of development is demonstrated.
The system layout and operational strategies for fuel economy in conjunction with exhaust gas aftertreatment requirements are discussed.
For the optimization of the complex transient functions as e. g. switching between stratified and homogeneous operation and catalyst purging, a new evaluation tool providing objective driveability assessment is applied.
CitationWirth, M., Piock, W., Fraidl, G., Schoeggl, P. et al., "Gasoline DI Engines: The Complete System Approach By Interaction of Advanced Development Tools," SAE Technical Paper 980492, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980492.
- Ando, H. Noma, K. Iida, K. Nakayama, O. Yamauchi, T. Mitsubishi GDI Engine - Strategies to meet the European Requirements Congress: Engine and Environment Graz 4.-5 9 1997
- Iwamoto, Y. Noma, K. Yamauchi, T. Nakayama, O. Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine SAE 970541
- Nohira, H Ito, S. Development of Toyota`s Direct Injection Gasoline Engine Congress: Engine and Environment Graz 4.-5 9 1997
- Anderson, R.W. Brehob, D.D. Yang, J. Vallance; J.K. Whiteaker, R.M. A New Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) Combustion System for Low Emissions FISITA Kongress Prag 17.-21 6 1996
- Grigo, M. Schwaderlapp, M. Wolters, P. Charge Motion controlled Combustion System for a Direct Injection SI Engine 18.Int. Vienna Engine Symposium 24.-25 4 1997
- Jackson, N.S. Stokes, J. Lake, T.H Whitaker, P.A. Research and Development of Advanced Direct Injection Gasoline Engines 18.Int.Vienna Engine Symposium 24.-25 4 1997
- Karl, G. Kemmler, R. Bargende, M. Abthoff, J. Analysis of a DI Gasoline Engine SAE 970624
- Fraidl, G. K. Piock, W. F. Wirth, M. Gasoline Direct Injection: Actual Trends and Future Strategies for Injection and Combustion Systems SAE 960465
- Philipp, H. Plimon, A. Fernitz, G. Hirsch, A. Fraidl, G.K. Winklhofer, E. A Tomographic Camera System for Combustion Diagnostics in SI Engines SAE 950681
- Philipp, H. Fraidl, G.K. Kapus, P. Winklhofer, E. Flame Visualization in Standard SI Engines - Results of a Tomographic Combustion Analysis SAE 970870
- Moser, W Mentgen, D. Rembold, H. Gasoline Direct Injection - a New Challenge for Future Engine Management Systems, Part I and II MTZ 58 1997
- Stocker, H. Gasoline Direct Injection and Engine Management - Challenge and Implementation Congress: Engine and Environment Graz 4.-5 9 1997
- Strehlau, W. Leyrer, J. Lox, E.S. Kreuzer, T. Hori, M. Hoffmann, M. New Developments in Lean NOx Catalysis for Gasoline Fuelled Passenger Cars in Europe SAE 962047
- List, H. Schoeggl, P. Objective Evaluation of Vehicle Driveability SAE 980204
- Holy, G. Nox-Adsorber Evaluation AVL Internal Report 1997