This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aluminum Wheel Alloy Variants: Effects on Corrosion Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 23, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Previous work has shown that variations in wheel alloy chemistry, particularly with respect to copper and iron levels, can have a pronounced effect on filiform corrosion performance. In this study, an examination of A356.2 alloy chemistry variants and their effects on corrosion was carried out in greater detail. The emphasis was on copper and iron variants, both alone and in combination. Copper levels ranged from 0.005 to 0.22% and iron from 0.04 to 0.23%. The effect of manganese additions was also examined, with levels ranging from 0.002 to 0.07%. In addition to the alloying variants, the level of dispersed oxides in the castings was varied to determine any effects on corrosion performance. Although filiform corrosion performance of painted samples was the primary focus of this study, the corrosion behaviour of unpainted samples was also evaluated for comparison purposes.
|Technical Paper||Effects of Alloy Composition and Condition on Filiform Corrosion Performance of Cast Aluminum Wheels|
|Technical Paper||A Study on the Chrome Platability of Cast Aluminum Wheels|
|Technical Paper||Clear Powder Coatings for Aluminum Wheels|
CitationCourval, G., Chamberlain, B., and Pattemore, D., "Aluminum Wheel Alloy Variants: Effects on Corrosion Performance," SAE Technical Paper 980461, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/980461.
- Courval G. Chamberlain B. Pattemore D. “Effects of Alloy Composition and Condition on the Filiform Corrosion Performance of Cast Aluminum Wheels” SAE Paper 970021 1997
- Godard H.P. et al. “The Corrosion of Light Metals”
- Grugleski J.E. Closset B.M. “The Treatment of Liquid Aluminum-Silicon Alloys” American Foundryman's Society 1990
- Granger D.A. et al. “Effect of Beryllium on the Properties of A357.0 Castings” AFS Transactions 92 1984
- Metals Handbook 15 9th 1988
- Godard H.P. “An Insight Into the Corrosion Behavior of Aluminum” Materials Performance 9 15 July 1981
- Komatsu Y. et al. “New Pretreatment and Painting Technology for All Aluminum Automotive Body” SAE Paper 910887 1991
- Iwata M. et al. “Influence of Iron and Copper in Aluminum on Filiform Corrosion” Journal Japan Institute of Light Metals 34 531 536 1984